Date of Maurice Holman's accident at Harringay?

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

oakleyboy99
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Date of Maurice Holman's accident at Harringay?

Post by oakleyboy99 »

Hi there
I'm Admin on a Fb Group - Kings Cross Topshed & Drivers Depot - & one of his colleagues was enquiring if anyone could remember the date of Maurice Holman's tragic accident between Hornsey & Harringay pls...?

Thanks
Mickey

Re: Date of Maurice Holman's accident at Harringay?

Post by Mickey »

oakleyboy99 wrote:Hi there
I'm Admin on a Fb Group - Kings Cross Topshed & Drivers Depot - & one of his colleagues was enquiring if anyone could remember the date of Maurice Holman's tragic accident between Hornsey & Harringay pls...?

Thanks
There are several posts about this accident on this forum that happened in 1971 when an empty Rolls Royce DMU ran into the back end of a train of Cartics on the Up Carriage or Up Goods lines between Harringay Up Goods & Finsbury Park no.6 s/boxes but there isn't an actual date in 1971 that is mentioned by anyone.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

15th April 1971.

There is an accident report available as a PDF file.

At railwaysarchive.co.uk

John
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

JASd17 wrote:15th April 1971.
Strangely enough when this accident happened on the above date i was actually outside Welwyn north s/box doing some train spotting after secondary school on that day when the signalman came out onto the s/box landing at the top of the staircase and called over to the railman on the Up platform to say that it had just come over the s/n telegraph that there had been a collision at Finsbury Park between a set of empties and a Car train (Cartics).

I recall that the above incident between the signalman and the railman happened about tea-time maybe between 5:pm-6:pm on that day and it was still daylight.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

My driver and I passed Maurice, less than 2 minutes, before he crashed into the Cartics, my driver, had given Maurice a wave and a toot, as we passed, we were told of the accident, when we arrived at Hertford North, I have also posted on this forum a picture of the remains of DMU, inside Hornsey shed.

I've always remembered this accident, as to me , it shows the fragility of human life, gone in the blink of an eye :(

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.