Needing help

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

bigblue
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Needing help

Post by bigblue »

Hi to all

I am trying to find out information for my Father in Law Charles Mitchell (Charlie) who worked on the LNER back in the early 60's for around 10 years or so. He is now 83 and in good health and driving me nuts because he is bored!
We are looking at buying him a laptop and setting him up with email etc and I mentioned that I may be able to find out if there was any club or forum for ex LNER employees and lo! i found this site.
Not really sure what i can find out for him, perhaps you have meetings/days etc that he could get involved in etc etc.
He was based from Aylesbury Bucks and started as a cleaner making his way up through fireman and finally driver on varying types of steam engines (is that the correct term?)
Any information would be greatly appreciated

Many thnaks

Jeff Meade
hq1hitchin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Re: Needing help

Post by hq1hitchin »

Where did he work, Jeff?
A topper is proper if the train's a non-stopper!
bigblue
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by bigblue »

Hi

Sorry for the late reply, I've been working away from home for the last couple of weeks. He worked out of Aylesbury i believe but I will need to confirm that with him when he is over for Christmas. He ended up as a fireman and then as a driver. He talks about his happy times at LNER and it seems to be something that he is still passionate about

Kind regards

Jeff
Boris
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Boris »

Suggest you get him on this site then,if he is now a sliver surfer then show him the advantages of becoming one.

he's not to old at 83 that's what I am
EX DARNALL 39B FIREMAN 1947-55
Brush53Falcon
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Brush53Falcon »

Hi Jeff

I've just returned from my local pub in Kidlington, Oxfordshire where I regularly chat with an ex. BR railwayman, fireman by the name of Ernie Varney, who worked at Aylesbury between 1955 and 1963. He left there to work for a company at Saunderton before joining the Thames Valley Police. Ernie also workerd from Neasden so possibly knew your father-in-law although he is younger at 74.

If this name rings a bell with your Father-in-Law let me know and I'll give you Ernie's details.

Grahame
Brush53Falcon
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Brush53Falcon »

Brush53Falcon wrote:Hi Jeff

I've just returned from my local pub in Kidlington, Oxfordshire where I regularly chat with an ex. BR railwayman, fireman by the name of Ernie Varney, who worked at Aylesbury between 1955 and 1963. He left there to work for a company at Saunderton before joining the Thames Valley Police. Ernie also workerd from Neasden so possibly knew your father-in-law although he is younger at 74.

If this name rings a bell with your Father-in-Law let me know and I'll give you Ernie's details.

Grahame

Jeff

I have spoken to Ernie Varney further regarding your Father-in-Law and I'm afraid he cannot remember the name. Maybe your Father-in-Law has a better recollection.

Regards

Grahame