Help re incident at Epping Station 1948

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

margin16
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Help re incident at Epping Station 1948

Post by margin16 »

My father, now in his 89th year, is trying to put into words his early industrial life as 'Family History'

In 1948/49 he was employed by London Transport, working on the tracks at Epping Station, Essex. He witnessed an accident which resulted in the death of a LNER linesman, who was struck by a steam locomotive as it was approaching Epping station. My father was first on scene but was unable to help the man. He was subsequently called to give evidence at the inquest.

We have tried many means to try and discover more about this incident but to no avail, not helped by the fact that he doesn't know/can't remember the deceased's name or precisely the date when the accident occurred.

Having spent a good number of hours in the local records office and assessing various websites on line, I did wonder if anyone on this forum may remember this incident and could throw further light on the matter. I am afraid that my fathers health prohibits him from venturing further afield.

Many thanks

Moderators. if you feel that this post would be better answered in another section of the index please feel free to move it.
hq1hitchin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Re: Help re incident at Epping Station 1948

Post by hq1hitchin »

Hello Margin 16

Afraid it's going to be hard to discover much detail if you've not been lucky locally but I do know that when I was working, some years ago now, there was a young man in Her Majesty's Railway Inspectorate who had some details regarding old accident reports to staff. All fatalities as you describe were reportable to them so perhaps you may be lucky if you ask them what they know?

Good luck
A topper is proper if the train's a non-stopper!