Tracing an ex-employee of NER

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

SGN
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Tracing an ex-employee of NER

Post by SGN »

I have just discovered information regarding my great-grandfather, John Lynch, who was listed in 1911 as a draughtsman for N.E.R. and lived in Hull.
I do not know if it is possible to still get information on employees from that era, but I ask in hope
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Re: Tracing an ex-employee of NER

Post by Rlangham »

Give Head of Steam at Darlington a shout, they have employee records
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
shildonboy
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by shildonboy »

The records they have are limited, comprising mainly: WW1 veterans and the pension records of employees. Be aware that the records are also incomplete. Both my grandfathers (Shildon Works) and some of my great grandfathers (Darlington North Road Works) worked for the NER, LNER and in the case of my grandfathers also BR and they have no record of them.

You can also try the NRM at york their records are more complete
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

I have the complete set of NER Magazines (1911-26), so if anyone would like anyone looking up please let me know
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask