WANTED: OO-gauge Bachmann 'N-class' tender drawbar or similar

Post your private sales and wants adverts here!

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

NZRedBaron
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

WANTED: OO-gauge Bachmann 'N-class' tender drawbar or similar

Post by NZRedBaron »

I got an old 'Blue Riband" Bachmann 'N-class' in the post today for a project I have planned; it's all complete, but the tender drawbar may have been damaged in the post- it has lost one of the 'horns' that slots under the cab; I think it's labelled as either part 150-127 or 150-128.

Does anyone have a spare or a 3d printed replacement I could buy off them, or know of somewhere where I can source the part?
NZRedBaron
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Re: WANTED: OO-gauge Bachmann 'N-class' tender drawbar or similar

Post by NZRedBaron »

Thanks.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Entering this topic a little late, this device - intended to produce a camming action between loco and tender - was by general report nothing but trouble. I have never owned an N class, but in the long ago modified three on exactly the lines Bachmann immediately after adopted, a simple drawbar with a hole each end to take a self tapper, the screws spaced to suit the owner's layout minimum radius. Problem solved. (There was also a problem with the tender wheelsets and locations, but the two owners had sorted that for themselves, and still the camming linkage produced running problems.)

[RANT]
Bachmann having then produced the simple drawbar correctly located between the dragboxes, and then improved on it by making the spacing readily owner adjustable by means of a concealed screw locked slide; have now unfortunately reverted to the 'camming' idea on the V2.
And once again, more trouble than it's worth:
Spacing grossly over length in straight position and not adjustable.
Camming action inadequate, cannot restore to straight after curves under even modest load. Looks bad and the effect on reversal through point ladders is derailments.
Visible intrusive lump of a connector between loco and tender.

I have sent a stiff letter written on cardboard to Bachmann concerning this weird device.
Harrumph.
[/RANT]
NZRedBaron
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by NZRedBaron »

Hatfield Shed wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:40 pm but in the long ago modified three on exactly the lines Bachmann immediately after adopted, a simple drawbar with a hole each end to take a self tapper, the screws spaced to suit the owner's layout minimum radius. Problem solved.
I don't suppose you still have the details on that?
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

NZRedBaron wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:41 am ...I don't suppose you still have the details on that?
Afraid not, this is past 20 years ago. I did them all to the same scale spacing, as the two layouts they worked on were 36" minimum radius.