Martin Finney Gresley A1

Post your private sales and wants adverts here!

Moderators: 52D, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard, Tom F

greenglade
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Martin Finney Gresley A1

Post by greenglade » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:43 am

Hi guys

I'm thinking of selling the above model kit as I doubt that i will ever get around to building it while I still have a long way to go with my 5" version, I know roughly how much i paid for it approx 6 years ago, being perhaps the best available kit of it's class and thus a cost to match it's quality/accuracy, but have no idea as to it's value today. The kit is a Martin Finney, Gresley A1 pacific with corridor tender. I recall a few extra's that I added at the time to the kit, precision coupling rods, a number of Laurie Griffin fittings, full set of slater wheels and a motor, perhaps gearbox too but would have to check to be sure. This is a completely untouched model, the two boxes have only been opened to check parts and to hold the extra items that I added for extra detail.

If anyone can help with a value it would help me advertise it and perhaps even convince me that I need to sell it...if any members here are interested in this for themselves please make an offer via PM..if I receive a number of enquirers I'll go with the highest assuming I'm happy with what's offered

kind regards

Pete

edit:...forgot to state this is an 'O' gauge model

Robpulham
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Martin Finney Gresley A1

Post by Robpulham » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:40 pm

Hi Pete,

You are probably not going to thank me for this but a similar kit only fetched £400 including the wheels recently, I know the gent that won it. Perhaps it was just the timing of it being around Christmas that meant that people had different wants/needs. I picked up a Gladiator B16 complete with wheels for £325 a couple of weeks before that. The kit was one of the latest releases by Gladiator and it was £30 cheaper than the kit alone from Gladiator.

I would suggest that you advertise it a couple of weeks before one of the main O gauge shows and offer to deliver it to the show, such adverts do seem to get some attention. Good luck with it.

greenglade
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by greenglade » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:58 am

Morning Rob...thanks for the reply...who ever let this kit go for that sort of money clearly didn't appreciate either it's rarity or just how good this model is, I know 'Finney 7mm' bought the rights but see no evidence of it's return. IMHO it's the best Gresley pacific by a long way, one sold on eBay a few weeks ago for over £500...I don't know what was included, I was told about this on the RMweb forum. I myself have been offered more on this forum but to be honest it will take more to wrench this kit from my grip, just looking at it to take pictures made me fall in love with it again. It truly is an amazing model of a subject that I know intimately and therefore can appreciate it even more. The big question is will I ever get around to building it having perhaps another 10 years of building to do on my 5" gauge version before it's finished?

Decisions, decisions...:)

Pete

Robpulham
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Robpulham » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:24 pm

Hi Pete,

From talking to the Finney 7 guys, the A3 is next on the list for re-release. They re-released the V2 late last year. They also have a streamlined W1, a B1 and an A7 in the pipeline for us "right side" of the Pennines modellers.

Sadly the example on eBay is not the only recent cheap example. Not long after Telford someone had an A4 and tender on the Guild sales for £450