New unopened 51L wagon kits

Post your private sales and wants adverts here!

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

52D sub shed
LNER N2 0-6-2T

New unopened 51L wagon kits

Post by 52D sub shed »

sold
Last edited by 52D sub shed on Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
NZRedBaron
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Re: New unopened 51L wagon kits

Post by NZRedBaron »

Tell me, exactly what are these 51L kits that you speak of?
52D sub shed
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 52D sub shed »

Sold
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

51L kits can be found here:

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd

But, they are white metal kits. In an ideal world that means one needs excellent soldering skills. White metal has a very low melting point, so ordinary soldering does not work. Although, it is possible to construct them using epoxy resin. But the latter is not recommended.

John
52D sub shed
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 52D sub shed »

51L white metal wagon kits are easily assembled with Epoxy, I have several which have been constructed in that manner.
BTW Wizard have no wagon kits only parts, should you find a retailer with stock I would be delighted to hear about it?.
Wolf of Badenoch
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Wolf of Badenoch »

I suggest you take a look again at Wizard Models, they have a significant range of wagon kits many of which started life under Dan Pinnock D&S Models range
Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Dave S »

Wolf of Badenoch wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:22 pm I suggest you take a look again at Wizard Models, they have a significant range of wagon kits many of which started life under Dan Pinnock D&S Models range
Dans range went mainly to Adrain Swain of ABS, a few passed to London Road Models but as far as I know none went to Wizard. With Adrians estate being sold off it's likely that some might end up there.
A quick check Of Wizards site doesn't show either ABS or D&S as the origin of any kits.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

The origin of some of the kits with D & S goes way further back, to the days when Dave Scott started the 51L range. If he sees this he may comment, if not I'll ask him about it on Saturday.
Wolf of Badenoch
LNER N2 0-6-2T

The original 51l range from David Scott became the David Geen range of wagons that was developed into a larger range. I spoke to David Scott some years back at Wakefield and understand that he bought a lot of the D&S range of predominantly NER wagons with a few others thrown in H&B stock.This range then took the 51L name And traded under that name until it was sold to one of the previous owners of the Wizard range that is now owned by Andrew Hartshorne.
The D&S range of GCR wagons is now with the GCR Society and the GNR and LNER wagons wagons went to ABS with Adrian reintroducing some of the GNR wagons under his brand.
Wolf of Badenoch
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Dave S wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:49 pm
Wolf of Badenoch wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:22 pm I suggest you take a look again at Wizard Models, they have a significant range of wagon kits many of which started life under Dan Pinnock D&S Models range
Dans range went mainly to Adrain Swain of ABS, a few passed to London Road Models but as far as I know none went to Wizard. With Adrians estate being sold off it's likely that some might end up there.
A quick check Of Wizards site doesn't show either ABS or D&S as the origin of any kits.
If you purchase any of the NER wagons from Wizard the instructions are or certainly were until recently the same as those from D&S.
No one said the ABS range went to Wizard ?

Why would the Wizard site show the origin of some of the wagon kits being D&S when that range had already become the second iteration of the 51L range before it was absorbed into the Wizard business ?
Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Dave S »

jwealleans wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:19 pm The origin of some of the kits with D & S goes way further back, to the days when Dave Scott started the 51L range.
It seems I got it wrong. Dan never mentions 51L when he talks of where the range came from or went to, only the societies, LRM and ABS.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Dave S wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:49 pm....Dans range went mainly to Adrain Swain of ABS, a few passed to London Road Models but as far as I know none went to Wizard. With Adrians estate being sold off ....
That could well take a while.