Rapido NER 4-2-2 Stirling

Post your private sales and wants adverts here!

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

DSPproates
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Rapido NER 4-2-2 Stirling

Post by DSPproates »

Rarer than hens teeth, I am told. I have tried Rapido (none hidden in a cupboard) but they did say that they have a had a lot of requests. I have asked Locomotion Models if they would sanction another production run (awaiting answer) and eBay.

Is there any chance that a member has a spare one please? I want to have an NER engine from the period 1853-1887 when my Great Grandfather worked at the S&DR/NER in a number of places - Shildon, Waskerely and then Middlesbrough. I believe there may be other possibilities. I would like an express and the Stirling almost fits the bill (as I think it was introduced in 1889). I would be happy with a kit, but am supremely confident that I would make a complete hash of assembly, let alone painting.

Mike Poole
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Rapido NER 4-2-2 Stirling

Post by Hatfield Shed »

The last thing you want is a Stirling single! That was the product of the GNR at Doncaster.

The NER has been sorely neglected in RTR model form. In OO the most elderly item available is the J72 shunting loco, followed by two C20th goods machines, the J27 and Q6. There's no NER express design announced as yet, but don't lose all hope; there are several attractive preserved specimens, and their turn may come around.

There are kits, but someone with current knowldge is needed to advise.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

This what you want, sadly there has never even been a kit in 4mm. I am guessing this 7mm. All gone before the grouping 1923

https://content-eu.invisioncic.com/y320 ... fdd7a.jpeg
Paul Chappell
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Paul Chappell »

I have a 4mm kit manufactured by Millholme Models, which I must have bought on EBay some years ago. The box contains wheels and a KM1 motor, in addition to instructions, so I guess I could check to see if it is complete or not. The accompanying invoice is from Lou Nadin of Stockton Heath, Warrington and is dated 22/2/85.

I was fortunate to secure a Rapido/Locomotion model so am unlikely ever to attempt assembly of the kit, which deserves the attention of a skilled modeller/painter.
Wolf of Badenoch
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Wolf of Badenoch »

There was an excellent kit by Stelfox made in etched nickel silver many years ago. I was fortunate to purchase one from the last production run that is still waiting in the to do cupboard.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Before anybody posts any further, potentially misleading replies to this topic, can our original poster Mike Poole please check, and then conform, whether he is looking for a model of a North Eastern Railway J class 4-2-2 introduced from 1889, or is it a Great Northern Railway 8 foot Stirling 4-2-2 Single (introduced circa 1870) as made by Rapido, since the two are most definitely not the same thing. Rapido have never made the NER 4-2-2, and it isn't a Stirling loco. My knowledge is limited, but the only 4mm Millholme 'single wheeler' kit I'm aware of was also for the GNR Stirling loco.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.