THAT HORRIBLE SOUND CALLED MUSIC

This forum is for all off-topic (ie. non-railway) discussion.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

rockinjohn
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: THAT HORRIBLE SOUND CALLED MUSIC

Post by rockinjohn »

Hi Mickey yes your post of 9/12/20 set me looking back @ your past posts,hence my post, always been US inspired, I have many 45rpm's of all the regulars like Chuck /Bo/Esquerita /Little Richard/Vincent/Cochran/Elvis pre. Army etc but mainly R&R and R&B from the Deep South States,liked a few UK rkrs Roy Young/Dickie Pride/Wee Willie & thought Charlie did a fair version of Splish Splash and Cliffs "Move it"orig without the dreaded Hank on git box,Best UK album& its a 10inch, gotta be the Billy Fury with Joe Brown on gtr, who did some nice early instrumentals,Joe influenced a great deal by eddie, joe willing to sit @his feet &learn from Cochran on that visit, he never having seen a guitarist in R&R apart from Bert&Vic Flick of that calibre in the UK, saw him(eddie) @ the Finsbury Park Empire, great artist, picked well, never looked @ his guitar once he played a big orange colored Gretsch with gold pickups,&yes he had Blue Suede Boots on!rgds jj
Mickey
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by Mickey »

rockinjohn wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:03 am Hi Mickey yes your post of 9/12/20 set me looking back @ your past posts,...
Yeah I like 50s rock & roll rockinjohn especially Gene Vincent from the US along with Jerry Lee Lewis when he was playing R&R (later on at the end of the 1960s and through the entire 1970s he was playing predominately country music) Chuck Berry & Little Richard and also British early 60s rockers like Johnny Kid & Screaming Lord Such and as previously said Cliff Richard's first two albums are pretty good rock & roll albums after which he became a 'pop singer' and a all around entertainer.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
rockinjohn

Post by rockinjohn »

Hi Mickey, Gene Vincent always called 'genee"vincent in Oz/NZ why?Capitol picked Gene as their "Elvis"although Frank Sinatra less than pleased @ Capitol's choice he(sinatra) was very influential @ the time, god knows what they thought when Esquerita (ex- cre- ta)rolled into town, Little Richard also less than pleased having had him as a mentor back in Atlanta GA.most early guitarists in UK influenced by Cliff Gallup/James Burton,Vincent's leg injury got a lot worse over the years, having to wear a brace continually(pain medication not helped by his drinking to extremes, leading sadly to his demise) hence his stance he was mentally affected by Eddies passing.Jack Good reinvented Gene in all the Black leather gear( suzi noted)& gold cocoa lid medallion&chain,Cut with Sounds Inc.in UK & released on UK Capitol thru EMI in England, so proving very difficult to obtain for US Collectors some 45rpm's not even being released there,he like Buddy Holly more popular in the UK &on the "Continent" (thats what we called it then)than the US,The flip of" Be-Bop-a-Lula" "Woman Love" promptly banned by the BBC for airplay for obvious reasons, a sign of the times?,Decca deleted a verse of Carl Perkins "Thats Right"from the "Sun" orig 45RPM because they thought he sang "bugger"he didnt he sang "booger"memories are made of this....
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

rockinjohn

Post by rockinjohn »

Nat king cole err R&R? not R&B either, nice performance, but Nat not very into R&R, in fact quite anti our music which really did change the world, like Mitch "sing along"Miller @ Columbia, seeing his sales drop,he did a couple or R&R style 45rpms "Midnight Flyer"&"Send for Me"Nat along with Ray Charles(maybe Record company or Management) ready to jump on the Bandwagon that gained him sales, just follow the progression from'47 with the trio till near end with those awful hazy crazy daisy days of summer sorry thought this was about R&R not mid stream pop or jazz(?)jj
Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Dave S »

I worked at Oakleigh Park in the early 80's and there was a railman there named 'Leo Gibson' an absolute gentleman and he would sing NKC tunes during the shift. As a 19 year old I wasn't going to be swayed by that old fuddy duddy stuff....but found myself singing along after a few days!

Leo had a good voice and could easily have made a career out of performing as a NKC tribute.
rockinjohn

Post by rockinjohn »

gosh music to commit suicide by in working hours once travelled 37miles ea. way with 3 others shared car duties, one guy played Neil Diamond continually both ways for a week 4nights could have strangled "cracklin rosie" who ever she was, my week once a month played 'em Bo Diddley Or Little Walter/Sonny Boy not impressed.ha
Mickey
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by Mickey »

I presume if you was a loco spotter in your late teens and early 20s around the late 1950s once you had been to Kings Cross platform no.10 to watch the A1s, A2s, A3s & A4s coming and going or stood on Finsbury Park, Wood Green or Stevenage stations train spotting you would then go to the local teddy boys café or coffee bar and buy a coffee and be listening to either Gene Vincent, Jerry Lee Lewis & Cliff Richard on the jukebox after combing your hair into a slick back D.A. style before going into the café otherwise the teds mite eyeball you??.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
rockinjohn

Post by rockinjohn »

Hi Mickey&all not quite.....the end of steam affected me quite badly,&even with the early years of the shiny dreaded diesels intrest lost ,& to be both a Rock&Roller & like Railways not quite hip remember(testosterone/acne)quite prevalant, this was late 50's /early '60's so I moved on always keeping an eye on the railway scene moving on to the R&B scene which we hijacked from the trad movement clubwise,& not really into "beat"groups but still went to see them perform "never pass judgement till you have gone down that route"& being a motor mechanic @ the time took intrest in Buses&HGV's so I know my Fleetlines/Atlanteans/ArabIV&Reliances & mixing in the blues circles met Bank Managers/Journalists/Photographers/Lawyers &Sweet Shop Owners,(who didnt like R&R/ R-A-Billy or Swamp Pop good I'll have those 45rpm's then) always felt I was punching well above my weight,but they were all v.nice&courtesy to me, class distinction/attitude was rampant(& it creeps into the forum sometimes)& was flipped many times by middle class parents of top gurls & I was well behaved& spoken & hadn't as yet reached "lounge lizard"status,I suppose mid'50's-late'50's was a hard time moneywise(for most) & I would follow the railways avidly, walking fom the "Grove"to Kings X/St Pancras/Euston/Marylebone &finally Paddington then walk all the way home must have been fit &never spent a penny which I never had anyway so.......dont feel sorry for me I'm rich now ha!....jj