A bit of Civilization in the Midlands!

This forum is for all off-topic (ie. non-railway) discussion.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Mr Bunt
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Re: A bit of Civilization in the Midlands!

Post by Mr Bunt »

Blink Bonny wrote:Ay up!

According to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_salmon

It would appear to be anything the chippy wants it to be! I love haddock myself and here I am in an area that only does cod!

:cry: :cry:
The fact that "Rock" isn't considered kosher is an interesting point. In simple terms the rules are that to be edible anything that swims in the sea must have both fins and scales.

Some of what's sold as "Rock" is a species of shark. They have fins but their skin is smooth, so the rabbi doesn't like "Rock" (and I can't say I blame him!).
mr B
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by mr B »

It would appear to be anything the chippy wants it to be! I love haddock myself and here I am in an area that only does cod!
hi BB , brought up in a fried chippy till the compulsive act purchased the streets (1960) , yes ours was the front room of a large bay windowed terrace house , we only did cod , chips (and Bits!) - Haddock was fried when customer asked , Skate was a rarity ,
no fishcakes , burgers , sausage , fish Pattie , curry or gravy and deff no stay white - all cut fresh .
And a coal fired range using dripping .

mr B
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Did a spell on the road working for a Potato Merchant.
Basically if we delivered to a chippy I would never go there.
Boss bought the cheapest possible spuds he could from a farmer or the market.
When we carried them in we often had to turn the bags round to hide the wet patches soaking through the paper.
They smelt a bit as well.
Understandably the firm closed down not long after.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Sorry to say I found the title, a bit misleading, knowing that the Midlands are un-civilized, we all know that the locals wear bin liners and have bits of rubber tyres on there feet, but to be talking about fish and chips, well, as for Bara and chips, that's a bit of a no no, Bara has a very delicate flavour, the chips would overpower it. Local Ozzy fish and chips is usually Butterfish and chips, Butterfish, is actually Mulloway, and before you ask, I have no idea why they have renamed Mulloway, Butterfish, by the time it gets to the chippie, but it is a good frying fish and reminds me of Cod.

Another misnamed fish is 'Shark' which has been renamed 'Flake' in the shop, a way of getting our own back on 'Jaws' !!!!!! :D

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

When I was a teenager the best chips locally came from a chippie called; "The Yorkshire Fish Bar".
It, sadly, disappeared many years ago when the area was redeveloped.
I have recently discovered that they were fried in "dripping" rather than oil.

I rarely cook fried chips (and never make oven chips), but perhaps I should try dripping chips.

Earlswood nob
kudu
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by kudu »

Mr Bunt wrote:

According to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_salmon

The fact that "Rock" isn't considered kosher is an interesting point. In simple terms the rules are that to be edible anything that swims in the sea must have both fins and scales.

Some of what's sold as "Rock" is a species of shark. They have fins but their skin is smooth, so the rabbi doesn't like "Rock" (and I can't say I blame him!).
I can remember rock salmon (and skate) being available at our local chippy in London centuries ago, along with cod, the default choice. Whatever rock salmon was, it wasn't particularly nice but it was cheap. But I'm interested to learn it isn't kosher. I believe this traditional English fare is Portugese Jewish in origin.

Kudu
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Now this sounds a bit 'python-esque', but as a young child in South Wales I clearly remember our local chippy was on old fella with one leg. He used to hobble around behind the counter with the aid of his walking stick and, to the proclamation of all, his fish and chips were the finest in all of the valleys.

Probably owing to the fact that he always used dripping and always, but always, stirred the vats with that walking stick. The secret ingredient, so to speak. And I'm still here to tell the tale. :)
Postman Prat
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Postman Prat »

talking about fish and chips, well, as for Bara and chips, that's a bit of a no no, Bara has a very delicate flavour, the chips would overpower it
Baramundi is very nice. I've only had it when I've been on a cruise with SWMBO but after the first time I looked forward to it on the next cruise!!
PP
The light at the end of the tunnel is probably a train coming towards you!!
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

I've found three more proper chippies wot do haddock and proper bits!

2 in Bridgnorth and one in Wombourne. At least the Wombourne one is get-at-able for a Friday feast! I just wish that they wouldn't shovel the chips in. 2 portions must contain nearly a full sack of spuds!
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

You don't know you're born. Gerremdownya, lad! :D
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

with apologies to Wikipedia:-

Rock salmon, also called rock eel, flake, huss or Sweet William, is a dish popular in Britain, often served as part of a fish and chips supper.
The dish can be one of many species of small shark, including the spiny dogfish (Squalus acanthias), Rough-hound (Scyliorhinus canicula) or the bull huss (Scyliorhinus stellaris).
Rock salmon is consumed in many European countries. However, the spiny dogfish is now an endangered species due to overfishing, and is classed as Vulnerable on the IUCN Red List[1] and the North East Atlantic population is Critically Endangered.[2]
Rock Salmon is not kosher, i.e. it is not a permitted type of fish according to Jewish dietary laws.
Brown Jack
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Brown Jack »

Hi BB,

I was in my local chippy the other day in SY there was a huge heap of bits being kept warm behind the glass. My thought was, if only BB could see all of these bits he wouldn't go home for a week.

Trev
Belvoir
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Belvoir »

I am fairly certain that "Rock Eel" was Conger Eel - smaller ones, as they get a bit tough over about fifteen pounds !!

Lovely for fish-cakes . . .