Me

This forum is for all off-topic (ie. non-railway) discussion.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Me

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up.

I won't be around much the next couple of weeks.

My mother had a massive stroke yesterday and passed away in the early hours of 8 August. The only comfort is she probably never knew what happened.
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
60129 GUY MANNERING
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: Me

Post by 60129 GUY MANNERING »

I am very sorry to hear your sad news my friend.
If it’s any consolation to you, my father had a very bad stroke in 1998 and died on Boxing Day 2000. Those two years visiting him in hospital were horrendous as I never knew if he understood what I was saying to him or not, he could not speak, was incontinent and was not the proud smart 82 year old that was my Dad in 1998.He was a typical old soldier from the 1939 - 1945 war, who spent 6 years abroad who was mentioned in despatch's ,coming home once. A proud, smart and clean man, reduced to relying 100% on others. I loved him dearly, but his death was a release for him and selfishly for me as well.
I hope this puts into context what your mother has probably missed by passing away and although the pain for you is intense she is not in pain and is at peace.
Please take this in the way it is intended, in no way being insensitive, but hopefully being of help.
My Kindest Regards, Derek.
Brown Jack
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Brown Jack »

Hi BB,

I too am very sorry to hear about your loss.

Trev
Iron Duke

Post by Iron Duke »

Hello BB,

So sorry to hear your sad news.
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

My condolences to you and your family, BB. All the best, Giner.
Postman Prat

Post by Postman Prat »

Hi BB

So very sad to hear of your loss. As you know I lost both parents in 2012 - dad in the February and mum in the May. Guy Mannering's experience, and description of his father 'going downhill, matched my own, dad having been a Sergeant in the Royal Marines and finishing as a the same in the police. A real 'smart fella' reduced to a wizened old man.

Easy for me to say, but I'm sure it was a blessing for her, and the rest of the family, that it happened so quickly.

Don't hesitate to e-mail if you feel the need to natter, or get it 'off your chest'

Ian
PP
The light at the end of the tunnel is probably a train coming towards you!!
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Autocar Publicity »

My condolences too.

Although it's a huge shock for those left behind, I do think it's much more merciful than a long illness. I've experienced both and the latter can be torture, both for the deceased and those close to them.

You know where I am too.

Simon
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Indeed, sympathies to you and yours, BB.

Hopefully also of some consolation, you dear Mum has also been excused a long-extended existence with virtually no discernible value : A very close relative of mine, - some way from helpless, in fairly reasonable health for age but frail to a degree, but still needing help from others (for which they are in very good hands) with several things, mainly because of gradually falling under Alzheimer's which has now been in an advanced state for nearly five years, leaving them knowing no-one (not even very closest family or regular carers) and unable to string together any meaningful words or sentence : Another example of an alert, knowledgeable, capable and loved person who, in essence, left us some time ago, yet is still around (and, mutually agreed with their spouse for their proximity, is unfortunately between about 1.5 and five hours' journey away from offspring for visiting) :

A crumb of comfort to you I hope : Condolences.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day BB

Sorry to hear about your mum passing, nothing that I or anyone can say will ease your loss, to any great degree, but anything we say may help.

I work as you know in a nursing home, and lose friends all the time, but I hate to think how I will react when the inevitable happens and I lose a parent.

Heartfelt thoughts to you and your family.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Sorry to hear of your loss Nigel condolences to you and your other half.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up

Thanks for your kind messages - they are much appreciated.

The funeral will be on Sept 23 but before that her three surviving kids will having a get-together in Blackpool. So clear the place then - the Terrys will be on the razz!
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Funeral over, no fights at the Wake so I'm heading back to y'all.