irving floods

This forum is for all off-topic (ie. non-railway) discussion.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

third-rail
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

irving floods

Post by third-rail »

I hope you are affected to bad with floods in the irvine area richard.
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: irving floods

Post by Bryan »

From the BBC
Texas police have evacuated residents living near an overflowing dam southwest of Dallas as a large part of the southern US continued to reel from floods brought on by powerful storms.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-32906007
third-rail
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by third-rail »

My earlier post should have read not to badly affected , ought to have reread it before posting
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Was away this weekend.

You know how the news is...

The Elm Fork of the Trinity was flooded in Irving a few weeks ago - the highest I've seen it, flooding a number of parks (which were designed for just such an eventuality). The reason it was high then wasn't so much the previous day's rain, but they'd opened the sluices in the various dams up stream. On Friday we when were heading out of town I did notice the west fork (I think that is the name) and downstream of the confluence had flooded into the main flood plain up to the levees.

We've had a lot of storms over the past few weeks. None of them were that unusual, it has just been a case of a having a lot of them, and perhaps a bit later in the year (April is more usual). So the ground is saturated and the next storms comes along and floods more easily.
Greg Abbott's (the current governor) pronouncements about the floods being the biggest in history is just a short-sighted politican speaking. The worst areas were probably Houston, R. Blanco (near Austin) and Wichita Falls. Wichita Falls (where I'll be moving in a few months) had bad floods 8 yrs ago, and various flood mitigation projects mean these latest floods were not as bad as forecast. The Hill Country (Blanco,etc) area is notorious for flash floods. Although these killed a few people, they're not the deadliest hill country flash floods in the last decade. Houston also looks nothing unusual (it is a city that floods easily with a number of low-lying roads, but it also drains quickly) - I've seen worse when I lived there, and Wunderground describe it as a fraction of TS Alison's land fall about 15 years ago.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia