Blink Bonny

This forum is for all off-topic (ie. non-railway) discussion.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Blink Bonny

Post by earlswood nob »

Evenin' all

Lagavulin is one the of the great whiskys. It is among my favorites along with Talisker, Highland Park, and Laphroaig. I remember my great-uncle who was in the business telling the family to drink Haig as it included one of the best malts to add flavour. Haig now advertise that they use Lagavulin.

A 25-y-o Highland Park now costs over £200, and 18-y-o around £100. The price of aged whiskys seems to be rising faster than inflation and my pensions. Perhaps they should include whisky in the C.P.I. as I use it more than air fares which are included.

I find it very interesting that the GNoSR was busy with Scapa business.

Earlswood nob
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I think you've just described our whisky collection! - except we also have Edradour (which I've visited). I don't know my whiskys that well - perhaps I don't appreciate Highland Park although many others rank it highly. However Lagavulin definitely had a fine taste! Laphroaig isn't for every event, and I can still smell the smoke in my nose the morning after I've had a glass! :-)

Over the past year I've started brewing. I like these whisky-barrel-finished beers that are currently fashionable, so I tried to brew one. For homebrew you use wood chips soaked in whisky, which you then put in your second fermenter for aging. Unfortunately my first attempt (using "Maker's Mark" bourbon) wasn't aged sufficiently due to the house move. I was thinking Laphroaig might also make a good choice. I would use less whisky than my first attempt (the bourbon ended up being too prominent a flavour), and of course age it a lot longer.

Yes Scapa needed an awful lot of coal and other supplies during WW1 - it was the home base of the world's largest navy, which was fighting the largest war the world had seen. The sea journey was significantly shorter via the Highland, but they simply couldn't cope with the volumes, so a fair amount also went by Aberdeen. Hence the GNoSR had to buy what would become the Z4 and Z5s to work the Harbour. Considering these survived into the 1960s, it is a shame one didn't survive...
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Perhaps it is time to retitle the thread 'Drink Bonny' or even 'Bonny Drink' - slàinte (mhath)! Bruichladdich is another Islay malt but the distillery sits on the edge of the sea which, as for Old Pulteney distilled in Wick, enriches it.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

I think you might be right about the title of the thread 65447.

The Old Pulteney distillery in not absolutely adjacent to the sea, being the south part of town, surrounded by houses. I had a few small shots at the distillery and thought the 21 y.o. much the best, I still have half a bottle.

If anyone wants to try something different, at a price, I recommend Campbeltown's Springbank. The 18yo is very nice. The town used to have a large number of producers, sadly no longer the case.

Cheers,

John
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

It's amazing what you learn. A random chat about whisky and I now now that Aberdeen was a supply post for Scapa Flow.

Earlswood nob

P.S.Springbank is another of the whiskys that I enjoy
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

The tablets are starting to kick in but the tremors are still there.

I tried to make some boxes for Mole End's buildings but no go. At least I didn't cut myself.
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Hang on in there BB, as they say, Keep up with the medication :D

Still want to see that Atlantic finished.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
kudu
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by kudu »

Yes, make sure you keep taking the tablets, especially when entering single line sections.

Hope you're back here soon as a regular.

Kudu
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Missed a couple of exchanges, looks like the catcher needs adjusting, but getting there.

Made a loco box without printing blood on the card.
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!