Terry's Chocolate Orange

This forum is for all off-topic (ie. non-railway) discussion.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Terry's Chocolate Orange

Post by giner »

FINSBURY PARK 5 wrote:
giner wrote:^ Vaguely.

One of my favourites was a Fry's Chocolate Sandwich (I think that's what it was called). It was two layers of milk chocolate with a layer of dark chocolate in the 'sandwich'.
Sounds positively disgusting giner!!. :lol: Yeah i think i remember them giner. :wink:

Fry's chocolate & peppermint creams are always nice so was the one with different centres such as Strawberry Lime Orange i havan't seen them around for years now??.

Mickey
Yes, weren't they called Fry's Five Centres? Luvverly.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

giner wrote:
FINSBURY PARK 5 wrote:
giner wrote:^ Vaguely.

One of my favourites was a Fry's Chocolate Sandwich (I think that's what it was called). It was two layers of milk chocolate with a layer of dark chocolate in the 'sandwich'.
Sounds positively disgusting giner!!. :lol: Yeah i think i remember them giner. :wink:

Fry's chocolate & peppermint creams are always nice so was the one with different centres such as Strawberry Lime Orange i havan't seen them around for years now??.

Mickey
Yes, weren't they called Fry's Five Centres? Luvverly.
Too right giner they were tasty also the old Walnut whips were tasty as well apparently they use to be BIGGER a few years ago with half a walnut inside as well as on top but these days there isn't half a walnut inside typical??. :(

Mickey
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

Ooh aah, they be DUNCAN's walnut whips. The chocolate was so hard, you had to be careful you didn't break your front teeth biting into them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walnut_Whip

Does anyone remember Penny Arrows?
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

I read several months ago that Walnut Whips are currently the oldest known 'chocolate sweets' still available first being sold in the UK in 1910

Mickey
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

FINSBURY PARK 5 wrote:I read several months ago that Walnut Whips are currently the oldest known 'chocolate sweets' still available first being sold in the UK in 1910

Mickey
Cadbury's Dairy Milk came out in 1905 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadbury_Dairy_Milk). Can that be called a "chocolate sweet"?

also look here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... bar_brands
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry%27s ... ate_Orange
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Kestrel wrote:
FINSBURY PARK 5 wrote:I read several months ago that Walnut Whips are currently the oldest known 'chocolate sweets' still available first being sold in the UK in 1910

Mickey
Cadbury's Dairy Milk came out in 1905
Yeah Cadbury's Dairy Milk chocolate came out in 1905 but for some reason Walnut Whips are the oldest at 1910??. :?

Yeah i know Kestrel it don't make any obvious sense does it??. :wink:

Mickey
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

giner wrote:Never been a fan of white choccy meself. I used to buy a Milky Way for the kids. They liked it, and they knew Dad wouldn't be going "gizzabit".:)

BTW, can you still get Wagon Wheels in the UK?
Would that actually have been a Milky Bar (white chocolate), giner? (Adverts had 'The Milky Bar Kid' - "The Milky Bars are on me!").
Milky Way was a small but thick-ish milk chocolate bar with a soft, light, fondant/cream filling.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
kudu
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by kudu »

Kestrel wrote:How old are they? You could send off for them and just get the wrapper.

Does anyone remember Five Boys Chocolate?
Yes. I recall the label had five faces of a boy, each with a different expression. Each picture had a one-word caption to tell us what the respective expressions were meant to be, though I didn't understand what every word meant.

Kudu
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

kudu wrote:
Kestrel wrote:How old are they? You could send off for them and just get the wrapper.

Does anyone remember Five Boys Chocolate?
Yes. I recall the label had five faces of a boy, each with a different expression. Each picture had a one-word caption to tell us what the respective expressions were meant to be, though I didn't understand what every word meant.
A little bit of a rare one 'down south' although i remember eating it a few times many years ago back in the 1960s & 1970s.

Heres one thats still around (amazingly) and apparently came out in 1959 so i guess that i must have had it pretty much from new as a youngster in the very early 1960s cos i can remember eating it quite a bit during that time but it can taste a bit 'sickly' to be honest but in small amounts it's ok and thats-

CARAMAC

Appearently it's made with condensed milk, sugar & butter thats wot gives it it's light tan colour.

Mickey
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

Funny you should say that but that name sprung to mind a few days ago.

Look here for a Kitkat Caramac http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/541 ... mmediately

Here's one for you. I can't remember what it was called. Maybe you do. From the late 50s, early 60s.

It was a chocolate strip (bar) of about 5 or 6 pieces and each one had a hazelnut in. I think it cost 2/-.

I don't remember it being around for long.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

I probably had nearly all of them at onetime of other Kestrel although i don't believe i ever had a Taz bar or wotever it is??. :?

Still you can't beat the old favourites like a Kit Kat with a nice cup of tea. :wink:

Mickey
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

FINSBURY PARK 5 wrote:I probably had nearly all of them at onetime of other Kestrel although i don't believe i ever had a Taz bar or wotever it is??. :?

Still you can't beat the old favourites like a Kit Kat with a nice cup of tea. :wink:

Mickey
The problem is when you buy them in multipacks, you end up eating all of them in one go, but there again, I'm just a gannet.
Postman Prat
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Postman Prat »

Quote: The problem is when you buy them in multipacks, you end up eating all of them in one go, but there again, I'm just a gannet.

Surely a Gannet is a different bird to a Kestrel :lol:
PP
The light at the end of the tunnel is probably a train coming towards you!!
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

They're both A4s.