Terry's Chocolate Orange

This forum is for all off-topic (ie. non-railway) discussion.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Terry's Chocolate Orange

Post by Kestrel »

giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Terry's Chocolate Orange

Post by giner »

Okay, I'll bite :oops: :lol:. Intriguing title, that. As long as it's not Chocolate and Cream :wink: :wink: .
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

Hi Giner

Being a guzzler of Terry's Chocolate Oranges, and I'm sure others on the forum are as well. I just thought I'd post this under 'General Chat' as a point of general interest.

For something that used to be in my Christmas stocking as a child, the 'Orange' has for some time been made in Poland. It just isn't the same and like other things, it has shrunk in size. Nothing is sacred anymore.

Now Fry's Chocolate Creme is another thing. You don't see that anymore.
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

A favourite of mine, too. Made in Poland? Yikes, I'm curious now as to where our 'Canadian' Terry's chocolate oranges are made.
Daisy5
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Daisy5 »

No way I could destroy that fountain xD
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

That fountain is not right - the segments always break off before the centre to leave the 'spine', which never tastes quite the same as the segments.

Presumably because it is now manufactured in Poland, the scale and consequently size has shrunk to HO :P and of course since it exists in 3 dimensions it is smaller by (76/87)*3 ? So is it now a Choco Orang :shock:
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

I heard on the radio a couple of days ago that the sales of Cadbury's Creme Eggs have taken a tumble since Cadbury's changed the taste of the chocolate and fondant creme filling by using cheaper ingredients.

Also heard on the radio about a week ago that a guy has or is on the verge of producing chocolate that doesn't melt even under heat so the old put down of something being as useful as a 'chocolate fireguard' presumedly won't apply anymore?. :wink:

Mickey
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

or you could make your own crème egg as here http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/ ... ecipe.html
third-rail
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by third-rail »

another that has disappered is the frys orange cream bars, you can still get the mint and the plain ones ,but for how long???
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

The retro sweet shop might be your saviour, third-rail

http://www.retrotuckshopsweetsdirect.co ... cts_id=237
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

How old are they? You could send off for them and just get the wrapper.

Does anyone remember Five Boys Chocolate?
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

^ Vaguely.

One of my favourites was a Fry's Chocolate Sandwich (I think that's what it was called). It was two layers of milk chocolate with a layer of dark chocolate in the 'sandwich'.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

giner wrote:^ Vaguely.

One of my favourites was a Fry's Chocolate Sandwich (I think that's what it was called). It was two layers of milk chocolate with a layer of dark chocolate in the 'sandwich'.
Sounds positively disgusting giner!!. :lol: Yeah i think i remember them giner. :wink:

Fry's chocolate & peppermint creams are always nice so was the one with different centres such as Strawberry Lime Orange i havan't seen them around for years now??.

Mickey
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Sainsbury's recently tried to revive the choc sandwich in it's own brand range but, despite my best efforts, to no avail and they were dropped quite quickly. It may sound gross BUT the sweetness of the white choc (has to be Nestle for me, less sugary than most) is balanced beautifully by the bitterness of the dark choc.

Another option was two layers of milk choc sandwiching a layer of plain. Yum!
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Never been a fan of white choccy meself. I used to buy a Milky Way for the kids. They liked it, and they knew Dad wouldn't be going "gizzabit".:)

BTW, can you still get Wagon Wheels in the UK?