Yodel

This forum is for all off-topic (ie. non-railway) discussion.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Yodel

Post by Kestrel »

Did anyone see this on Monday night on the Dispatches programme? At least one of our big name mail order firms uses Yodel.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/disp ... /62079-004
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Yodel

Post by 65447 »

Quite a few big businesses use Yodel for courier services. And your point is???
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

Clearly either you haven't watched the programme or you don't mind your valuable goods being thrown around and possibly broken.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

My eldest son was a postman for many years; and if anyone believes that throwing parcels around is limited to Yodel or Hermes, thewy should spend a few hours in a Royal Mail parcels centre.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Kestrel wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:27 am Clearly either you haven't watched the programme or you don't mind your valuable goods being thrown around and possibly broken.
That reminds me of that scene in the 1953 film The Titfield Thunderbolt when from memory a train arrives in the station and the guard throws out a boxed up parcel marked FRAGILE from his ex-GWR toad brake van and it lands with a crash on the station platform!!.

Mickey
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

Maybe that's where Yodel got the idea.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Kestrel wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:45 am Maybe that's where Yodel got the idea.
No - that was merely the media including a cameo from real life. When I worked at KX in the early 60s the parcels trains were unloaded at platform 1 below the east side offices and nearly everything came flying out onto the platform - I recall one day hearing the crashing of boxes that I noted contained (cathode ray tube) television sets.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

65447 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:52 am No - that was merely the media including a cameo from real life. When I worked at KX in the early 60s the parcels trains were unloaded at platform 1 below the east side offices and nearly everything came flying out onto the platform - I recall one day hearing the crashing of boxes that I noted contained (cathode ray tube) television sets.
Yeah platform no.1 at 'the Cross' on the east side always seemed to have many loaded and empty parcel trolleys scattered virtually the whole length of it's platform likewise on the west side on no.10 platform (no.8 platform from May 1972) also usually had a lot of parcel trolleys standing loaded beyond the footbridge & clock area towards the north end of the station even through the 1970s.

On a dvd of Kings Cross filmed during the 1950s the narrator states over scenes of hordes of people pushing and fighting there way through a 'mass of loaded of parcel trolleys' loaded with cardboard boxes and parcels that Kings Cross station was in many ways a 'parcels depot' that also had railway passengers amongst the boxes and parcels!!.

Mickey
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

This is a bit long in the tooth now, but it caused some grief to United Airlines at the time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo