This forum is for all off-topic (ie. non-railway) discussion.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Signalman LNER
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Signalman LNER »

Hello there;
I am just dropping in an introductory post, as someone with an interest in the LNER and later era of the North East area. My father well remembers the LNER as a youngster living in Bridlington in the war years and after. I'm too young to remember but started my career on the area as a Signalman at the tail end of BR at Cattal Signalbox. I have now been a railwayman for almost 22 years, still enjoying it, and now back on the Harrogate line, which I have always had a soft spot for as I grew up in Green Hammerton and later Knaresborough, using the line quite often.

My family were on the railways for many years from at least the 1870s when my mother's family moved out of agriculture (in the farming depression) to the Hartlepool area. My 2xGt Grandfather John Summersgill was a Locomotive Fireman in 1891 and an Engine Driver NER Co in 1901. His son Ernest was listed in the 1901 census as a Railway Points and Horse Chain Boy, on the other side of my mums family were Engine Fitters (Steam) from Darlington. My Dad's grandmother was born in the Station House at Church Fenton in the 1870s where her father was the NER Station Master. Two of my mums brothers worked all their lives for B.R. although my parents didn't work for the railways I seem to have been attracted without really knowing much of the family connection!

No doubt I shall be posting questions and comments with a local connection.

Kind regards
Matt the Signalman
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: New Member

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Nice to see you, Matt!
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!