Forth Goods Station. Newcastle upon Tyne

This forum is for all off-topic (ie. non-railway) discussion.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Jimmye
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Forth Goods Station. Newcastle upon Tyne

Post by Jimmye »

:| This Goods Station was built by NER in the 1870's and in its day was, I think, the biggest freight depot in the World. It lasted until 1968, when it was disasterously relocated across the River Tyne to Gateshead which resulted in its closure a few years later.
I was brought up virtually outside it, in (appropriately) Railway Street. Our front window faced the Newcastle to Carlisle line; I never go sick of watching the train, that has stayed with all my life, even at the age of 79.
I never worked on the railway, but most of my family did. My grandfather worked for NER as long ago as 1909 until his retirement in 1953. He was a Rolleyman and subsequently a Mechanical Horse driver was real horses were fazed out. He lived in Dale Street which was a row of 32 Railway owned houses on the west side of the King Edward bridge.
The people that lived in Dale St maintained an incredibley high standard. No noise! Front steps watched and pummey stoned several times a week! Curtains clean and tidy....as so on!
Adjacent to to Dale st, upto the early 1950s were situated stables where the LNER had, I would think, 200 horses. Rumour had it that my grandfather, consumed so much drink whilst delivering around Newcastle, that his horse used to bring him back to the Depot in the afternoon! Happy Days!
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Forth Goods Station. Newcastle upon Tyne

Post by PinzaC55 »

I took a few photos of what I think was the stables being demolished in late 1979. If its the building I am thinking of it had a large metal bridge across the road which had been covered in tarpaulin but this was hanging loose due to vandalism.
Jimmye
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Jimmye »

That's quite right, the bridge was to enable wagons to be ferried into the stables carrying supplies.
Travelling under the bridge, east along Pottery Lane, on the left were beer cellars which were under the Forth Goods Station. I think every brand of beer had a cellar there.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Here you go. Unfortunately both slides are quite dark and my scanner is on it's last legs so it tends to make them even darker and produce faint horizontal lines on the image when I lighten it in Photoshop.They look fine on a slide viewer though. Both shots were taken on 18.1.80.

Newcastle Forth Goods Warehouse Demolition 18.1.80 par PinzaC55, on ipernity

Newcastle Forth Goods Bridge 18.1.80 par PinzaC55, on ipernity
Jimmye
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Jimmye »

Great photos!
The first one is the LNER stables adjacent to the old Redheugh Bridge on Pottery Lane.
The second is looking east along Pottery Lane. Blairs Foundry can be seen on the right, this was part of Joicey's locomotive works in its day. At the end is the King Edward Bridge.
Minoru
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Minoru »

The photo's are no longer accessible. Could you possibly re-post them, or I'd be happy to pay for prints plus your time etc if you were willing? Presume this is the current wasteland/wildlife haven on Pottery Lane overlooked by trains exiting KEB? Often wondered what that site used to be.