Peter Sallis

This forum is for all off-topic (ie. non-railway) discussion.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Mickey

Peter Sallis

Post by Mickey »

Peter Sallis the actor who played Norman Clegg in the long running BBC television series The Last of The Summer Wine (1973-2010) has just passed away anyway I have a minor recollection of a fleeting encounter with him on a train way back in the 1970s.

One summer evening during 1974 I happened to be travelling in the empty guards brake compartment of either a x4 or x6 car Cravens unit travelling from Kings Cross to Welwyn Garden City my stop (I presume the ultimate destination of the train was either Royston or Cambridge I can't recall all these years on?) and while I was standing in the empty guards brake compartment just as we were about to pass through Potters Bar station on the Down fast line Peter Sallis who was alone walked through from the rear car through the empty guards brake compartment where I was standing to go into the front car anyway as he approached the vestibule door between the two coupled units I pushed the vestibule door open for him and he said "Thank you" then he disappeared into the front car. I recognised him straight away because at that date The Last of The Summer Wine had been on the television for maybe about 6 months by then.

Not much of a tale to tell and only a fleeting encounter with him but because it was on a train from Kings Cross I thought it was worth posting.

Mickey
Last edited by Mickey on Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Peter Sallis

Post by 52D »

Loved his character on Last of the Summer Wine.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Great program, had a cup coffee in the cafe they used to frequent.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
hallofgwr3
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by hallofgwr3 »

Loved the way his character Clegg was always uncomfortable around Marina. Still watch it on freeview along with the said type Goon show. Any progress on filming the movie special of Last of the summer wine?