Texas flooding

This forum is for all off-topic (ie. non-railway) discussion.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Texas flooding

Post by Bryan »

Richard.
Hope you and your family are ok with the flooding.
Mickey

Re: Texas flooding

Post by Mickey »

SRV the late great Stevie Ray Vaughan a Texas blues/rock guitarist & singer wrote a song that appeared on his debut album back in 1983 called Taxas Flood then his second album was called Couldn't Stand The Weather in 1984.

Mickey
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Texas flooding

Post by richard »

Thanks for checking in. Texas is a big place and Wichita Falls is in the north - about 120 miles on the road from Fort Worth to Amarillo. Houston is about 400 mile drive away (and it is a fairly direct drive).

If H.Harvey had taken a typical path then the garden would have had a good soak. Of course that isn't what happened. Instead we have blue skies and sunshine here, and Houston is getting sustained heavy rain. I used to live in Houston and it floods easily but also drains easily (for a few inches of rain from a thunderstorm that is). My last day was when TS.Allison finally came ashore - that is the only tropical cyclone I've been in that had its name retired. The scenario had a lot in common with Harvey. I was looking on the maps, and the company I worked for moved to a place not too far from the two flood control reservoirs that are currently over-topping. That whole area has built up a lot in the last 15 or so years since I was there. Houston has always been a fast growing place, and I think a lot of people simply weren't around during Allison or even Ike and aren't aware of some of the heavy flooding that can result.

That part of the world gets fairly regular cyclones - I was in Galveston a couple of years ago. Although Ike missed Galveston (and planed Point Bolivar instead), there were still quite a few empty housing lots from the Hand of Ike.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia