Christmas Travels

This forum is for all off-topic (ie. non-railway) discussion.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Christmas Travels

Post by richard »

I shall be back to the UK for Christmas again - travelling on Thursday. I'll have my laptop, but any issues, post approvals, etc might take some time. It will be around 10th Jan before I'm back - I'm swinging by a customer before departing.

There won't be much time for trains, but we are planning a trip to the NRM before their big rebuild (assuming it is still going ahead - I know there are funding issues); and a friend we're visiting has mentioned the Aln Valley line (they actually live close to the South Tynedale but they're not operating when we're over).

My son is very much into the Polar Express at the moment. We're forced to watch the film at least once a day! So no doubt he'll think the Chinese loco at the NRM is the Polar Express. He also makes the connection between the movie and the Christmas layout - which has grown a little bit this year. I'll try to post a new photo. We have a stop-go-trolley (60s model, refurbed but noisy as heck - apparently they all are), and a crossing light. Turns out Lionel changed the bulb fittings in 1949 - so the crossing light is pre-1949! (it is controlled by a flasher I built 2 weeks ago and a modern 21st century Lionel IR detector).

Next year I think it will be a full second loop and an early diesel.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Christmas Travels

Post by richard »

20181216_130432.jpg
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Trestrol
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Trestrol »

I hope your not flying into Gatwick😄
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Heathrow & Manchester!

We landed okay, although the car rental was a bit of a squeeze with the luggage.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Hope you are enjoying the UK. If you do venture north of the Tees, welcome to the Land of the Saints.

Happy Christmas!
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Thanks - yes we got as far as Barrasford (I see an old line went through there) and the North Tyne. Didn't reach Aln Valley in the end.

Yesterday was the NRM. Samuel really wanted to go in the cabs - he was disappointed Mallard's was closing when we got to it, but we did get into Duchess of Hamilton's. He did indeed call the Chinese loco 'The Polar Express', but I think his favourite was the MR Spinner. As well as cab access, things were more his size. He spent quite a long time telling the other kids what (he thought) the controls did...
Attachments
20190102_110030.jpg
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia