UK to stop burning domestic coal

This forum is for all off-topic (ie. non-railway) discussion.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Mickey
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

UK to stop burning domestic coal

Post by Mickey »

I use to like a open coal fire and didn't mind cleaning the fire place it out mind you that was over 45 years ago.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Re: UK to stop burning domestic coal

Post by Autocar Publicity »

It's probably due for another clean then...

I wouldn't belittle carbon emissions or the impact of climate change but to quote a certain TV sitcom, "Are you sure that's wise?" Not everyone has access to alternatives. Strikes me it's like snuffing a candle in a holder on the kitchen table when the bin's on fire, the local kids are stuffing fireworks through your letter box and next door's are filling their fish-pond with petrol whilst holding a barbeque on the patio. Could we have some prioritisation please?
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

No more sitting by a open coal fire on a winter evening and toasting a few slices of bread while drinking a drop of hot tea and then sitting back in the chair and being mesmerized by the dancing flames and the burning coals...
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Autocar Publicity »

The simple pleasures can be the best. Good for the soul. The picture on the TV is the same in every house but the picture in the hearth is unique to every home.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

I know a couple of people who obtain their own on a DIY basis, and I am sure there are plenty more, what with the stuff just poking out of the ground - or nearly so - at several locations around out little island. Don't expect them to stop burning it anytime soon!
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Mickey wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:51 pm No more sitting by a open coal fire on a winter evening and toasting a few slices of bread while drinking a drop of hot tea and then sitting back in the chair and being mesmerized by the dancing flames and the burning coals...
Mickey, you're a poet.:)
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Hatfield Shed wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:01 pm I know a couple of people who obtain their own on a DIY basis, and I am sure there are plenty more, what with the stuff just poking out of the ground - or nearly so - at several locations around out little island. Don't expect them to stop burning it anytime soon!
Exactly. I mean, what are they going to do? Send the coal cops around if they spot smoke coming from a chimney?
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

giner wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:43 pm
Mickey wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:51 pm No more sitting by a open coal fire on a winter evening and toasting a few slices of bread while drinking a drop of hot tea and then sitting back in the chair and being mesmerized by the dancing flames and the burning coals...
Mickey, you're a poet.:)
Ha ha ha... Thanks giner. How is it going over in Newfoundland and nice to know a little piece of Stevenage is resident in that far off land. :)

Someone around my area still likes burning coal because occasionally a few streets away from where I am I have noticed after dark the distinctive smell of 'coal smoke' in the air which always makes me smile when I walk along that particular street although I presume that person will have to be very careful in future if they continue to burn coal because no doubt a nosy neighbour around that street will probably report him to the authorities in time.
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Hi Mickey. Newfoundland? I'm a bit farther west in 45562 land (in LMS Jubilee-speak, that is) - Alberta. All good here, getting away from winter now.

Yes, your picture of cosying up to a coal fire brought up some memories; like father-in-law 'drawing' the fire with a sheet of newspaper and then the thing catching alight and starting a chimney fire with all sorts of smoke and sparks flying out of the chimney. He used to say all the neighbours would think it was deliberate to avoid having to have the chimney sweep in.:) Be well.