RMweb

This forum is for all off-topic (ie. non-railway) discussion.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

drmditch

Re: RMweb

Post by drmditch »

Well, I have no shortage of books to re-read and study.
(Currently RCTS Parts 9A and 9B - for work I should have done already!)

I seem to have managed to avoid most of the silliness on RMWeb, and have found some useful people and threads to look at.
It has worked quite well for signalling and electrical advice and one or two other things.

However, for early morning browsing I am using the members area of the NERA website - and catching up on all the volumes of NERA Express from before I joined. Very interesting and useful.

Website ....here.....
(and you can join on-line as well.)
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Update here:
https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/171078-rm ... pril-2022/

It would seem that most of it will be coming back, minus images posted within the last year.

Snap!
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

And it is functioning again.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

So it would seem. Having only ever posted images in significant numbers on this forum since 2009, I'm rather relieved that I do not now have to decide whether to re-post a whole year's images. Having been through the chore of mass re-posting of images here after finding that "free" remote hosting offers on two sites elsewhere were only a temporary sprat to catch a mackerel, I could not persuade myself to bother yet again. At least I took the unwanted opportunity to produce an organised list of contents for my thread when I was forced to do all that re-posting.

I do sincerely hope that this forum never develops a fatal fault, or reaches critical size and implodes!
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Pebbles
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Pebbles »

We must come to the Yoggi Berra quote; "No one goes there now days, it's too crowded".
burnie
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by burnie »

The site has moved to a new provider, seems to work ok now, I only use it to gossip with folk I know, either from buying/selling with them of meeting them at shows.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

I haven't visited that site for ages. My main gripe being that the moderators would censor posts and close threads whenever they considered the subject might upset the advertisers.

Plus a number of posters would assume that the more they criticised a new model showed their superior influence on the bottom line of the manufacturers. Most yearly product launches would be followed by a barrage of "nothing here for me, so won't be opening my wallet" type of comment.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

It's akin to a virtual city. Here the residents are forever protesting, there the police are heavy handed; but a short step around a corner and the noise from the shallow end is inaudible, and there is an art gallery and artisanal workshops. I feel this is a world we will be increasingly living in...