O Gauge builders

This forum is for all off-topic (ie. non-railway) discussion.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mustang
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

O Gauge builders

Post by mustang »

Hi all,

Just have a question for those that build and run O gauge locos, I’ve got some DJH models to build. I don’t have a layout and so I’m only really building this to display.

So I have the kits, wheels and extras except decals so I’ll get them as and when I need them for each build. I’ve just ordered the wheels for the D5509 diesel I’m looking at building next they cost me over £100.

Now the question as I won’t be running these is it worth me installing the gearboxes, I’ve got the pick-ups from slaters but gearboxes are £130 each and as I won’t be running them what the point or there’s roxey gearboxes which are cheaper and simpler but again do I really need them, I won’t be adding motors these are just static.

If I did install the gearbox on these diesels, I would then also need delrin chain sprogs.

The floor is open.
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: O Gauge builders

Post by Robpulham »

Hi Mustang,

Personally I would go to the trouble of adding motor and gearboxes (like you I have no layout and primarily build for the pleasure of building).

The reason that I suggest this, is that if you ever decide to sell them, despite how much you have paid for them initially, they will be worth very little un-motorised and your potential selling audience is smaller. Sadly it's a sign of the times that a lot of modellers have no desire or skills to start fitting motors to locos which is why RTR is so popular.

Also without a motor you are unable to test them to see if they do run and have clearances etc.

On the plus side you can buy far cheaper motor and gearbox combinations than Slaters. Have a look at Premier Components https://www.premiercomponents.co.uk/pag ... gear-boxes they have complete motor gearbox units for around £55.
For diesels you probably will need delrin chains and sprockets but these can be obtained via eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161623046587 ... R7rA-_KFYw