This Xmas/New Year's Wintry Weather

This forum is for all off-topic (ie. non-railway) discussion.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

This Xmas/New Year's Wintry Weather

Post by StevieG »

Some nice photos of one type of weather that I think the UK has escaped lately (as far as I know); - the 'Ice Storms' of N.America. :

http://www.westkentuckynrhs.org/?p=352
http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/ph ... 17816.html
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: This Xmas/New Year's Wintry Weather

Post by 60041 »

Not quite as impressive as the weather in North America, but quite chilly nonetheless; this is the ECML in Northumberland this afternoon. The first view taken from the top of the hill in front of our place looking towards the Aln Viaduct, the second showing our house and the snow covered track. The rails were covered first thing yesterday morning and I hoped that we would see a plough but no luck! Trains have been running as normal.
Attachments
snow 02-01-10
snow 02-01-10
Aln Viaduct 02-01-10
Aln Viaduct 02-01-10
limitofshunt
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by limitofshunt »

Nice pics 60041, is that an old station cottage you live in or something else that ended up next to the line?

Jon
Ferrybridge Flyer
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Ferrybridge Flyer »

Looks like you've had a fair bit more snow than us-i'm sure the power station melts a lot of ours before it hits the ground!
Bring back Ferrybridge station!
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 60041 »

limitofshunt wrote:Nice pics 60041, is that an old station cottage you live in or something else that ended up next to the line?

Jon
Yes it was a station but closed in 1850 - it was only open for three years then was replaced by a new one a mile south of here. Ironically the building remains here but the "new" station, which is still open, just has a glorified bus shelter now.
We have had about 6 - 8 inches of snow so far with the promise of more to come.
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Autocar Publicity »

Yes, I've heard what hasn't dropped on you is heading for us (in Wharfedale), could make tomorrow interesting if we get that much as well. We've got about an inch at the moment, left from Saturday, frozen hard. The main roads are fine, but the little residential ones are like skating rinks.

Looks a good house for an enthusiast, with a great view over the viaduct.
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 60041 »

It has just occurred to me that the picture of the viaduct above is showing almost exactly the same view as the well known LNER carriage print, the only difference being that the village visible in the background of the print is really a bit further north than shown and not as visible from here - a bit of artistic license.
Attachments
Viaduct carriage print.jpg