Subtereanean subterfuge

This forum is for all off-topic (ie. non-railway) discussion.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Subtereanean subterfuge

Post by strang steel »

chaz harrison wrote:Hammersmith & City eh?

That opens up the game more than a little. I think Stepney Green should liven things up a bit!

Chaz

Do I detect a subtle attempt to invoke the 19th century Peruvian Tranverse Manoeuvre? I thought rule 4723b stated that this was only allowed on a day when the sun rises directly over the buffer stops at Ongar.

But I may have misread it.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Autocar Publicity »

It probably depends which rules you are using, Phelps and Knights, Turberry or the Regency Code. Personally, I always feel it unlucky to play Ongar on any day other than the 14th June.... I pray this does not lead us into a dead end - time for a Dougal's Diagonal to Whitechapel.
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

If I may interject a moment. I should like to protest the post of StevieG for blackfriars on two grounds. Firstly under the New Cross ruling of 1967 regarding the official end of play for each day on web based games being and I quote "that no post can be permitted after 10pm of any given match day, as the adjudicator should be in bed by then to serve at his best for the remainder of the match" and secondly that Blackfriars is closed.

Acton Town if you please.
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
chaz harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by chaz harrison »

We are very lucky, the Helsinki Convention of 1993 swept away much of the clutter of petty rules and regs that bedevilled Mornington players and freed up the play. Previously you had the anomaly that anyone playing to Neasden from the south left no legal play except to Dollis Hill and then, of course, an endless return to Neasden - not nice!
So let's not get too tied up with the clock or, indeed, the calender.

Acton Town was the last play.........if I were to walk to West Acton (I can already hear the objections, but come on - Brooke-Taylor used this ploy in the 1987 Final to great acclaim) I can slip eastwards along the good old Central to....

Notting Hill Gate

I think that should give us some truly open play (the Circle Line beckons....)

Chaz
Flamingo
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Flamingo »

CVR1865 wrote:If I may interject a moment. I should like to protest the post of StevieG for blackfriars on two grounds. Firstly under the New Cross ruling of 1967 regarding the official end of play for each day on web based games being and I quote "that no post can be permitted after 10pm of any given match day, as the adjudicator should be in bed by then to serve at his best for the remainder of the match" and secondly that Blackfriars is closed.

That is indeed a timely reminder. I believe it was Stevie G who has already escaped sanction once for his play of Mill Hill Park on the first page. If anything, that is a bus stop and therefore inadmissible. As such it ought now be referred to the IMCCB for a ruling under the laws governing competitors attempting to gain unfair advantage.
chaz harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by chaz harrison »

Sorry Flamingo. Although your appeal has some merit it fails due to there having been at least three plays after the contested one. (Appendix 47, Mornington Crescent Yearbook - 1968, 82, 83 et al.)

Chaz
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

....but as I understand it, the amended rules now state that "out of print" Yearbooks cannot be cited in adjudication disputes?

This followed the now infamous drunken play of Bromley South by the Rt Hon Earl of Hetherington, when he meant to say Bromley By Bow. When it was pointed out to him that Bromley South was actually a Southern Railway station, his reply was "Bugger The Southern!" followed by a frantic waving of the 1933 rule book, which he had produced in a limited print run of one.

In this situation it is usually deemed that the gentlemanly way to solve the dispute is to give everyone an equal chance by going for Liverpool Street
Last edited by strang steel on Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

Ah yes of course the old 33 edition. I had quite forgotten that. Well in the spirit I will attempt the 1957 loop move that flumoxed a not unknown Will-wright Jenkins in that years 3rd round (well documented so not suprising) with a doff of the cloth (cap) to Strang Steel for the set up Leytonstone
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
Flamingo
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Flamingo »

You appear to have overlooked the not unimportant fact that Wright-Jenkins was disqualified for substance abuse, having used performance-enhancing drugs to reach that stage of the tournament. All matches in which he was involved were declared null and void and the results expunged from the official record.

I play Redbridge no not the one near Southampton.
PGBerrie
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by PGBerrie »

If you read the small print of the "Korean ruling" referred to earlier in this thread, I think you will find that all mention of "red", by implication meaning "under the bed" was banned until 17th November 2010.

In celebration of today's news I play Queens Park
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

CVR1865 wrote:If I may interject a moment. I should like to protest the post of StevieG for blackfriars on two grounds. Firstly under the New Cross ruling of 1967 regarding the official end of play for each day on web based games being and I quote "that no post can be permitted after 10pm of any given match day, as the adjudicator should be in bed by then to serve at his best for the remainder of the match" and secondly that Blackfriars is closed.

... And ...
chaz harrison wrote: " .... Acton Town was the last play......... " ....
Point of (dis?)order Mr. adjudicator : My play of Blackfriars followed from the posing of White City.
If, at the time of the above posts, Acton Town is being stated as the then last valid play, and is there is no reference at all to White City being mentioned, then isn't my play of Blackfriars also negated anyway? And subsequent plays called into question and also requiring adjudication?
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

I do consider that adjudication on this point may be a rather lengthy process, but I am sure that I read a comment many years ago in Allen & Maddocks Contemporay Mornington Journal (sadly no longer published) that during the blitz in the 1940s, the 10p.m. rule was suspended indefinitely (due to blackout and ARP rulings) and A&M's further research showed that the rule had subsequently never been reinstated in the correct manner at the cessation of hostilities.

This calls into question the validity of the 67 New Cross ruling, and my feeling is that all plays here are valid because the unrepealed wartime ruling made reference to several then 'legal' plays including Strand which is now considered to be a faux pas of the highest order.

In keeping with the ER bias of this website, I would suggest that Boston Manor could be considered as the obvious legal play that follows from the above dispute.
chaz harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by chaz harrison »

strang steel wrote:I would suggest that Boston Manor could be considered as the obvious legal play that follows from the above dispute.
A fine move and just the thing to settle things down a bit. Now staying on the Piccadilly for quite a while I might find myself back at.........
Finsbury Park although popping up to the surface there is no chance of an N2 on a rake of quad-arts

Chaz
Flamingo
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Flamingo »

These are very deep waters that we are moving in, Watson. I always felt that no good could come from opening up the game to professionals, with their agents, clothing sponsorship deals, TV rights and so on. And so it has proved.

For the time being it is certainly better to stay with the ER theme. Therefore to Liverpool Street.
mr B
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by mr B »

mr B is back from that mysterios rounded corner of life...by special request of course , having never set foot in,on, or near Mornington Cresent, Blackfriers or Notting Hill or Buck House for that matter prefering to sample the gentle side of life, has visions of settling at Golders Green or perhaps not quite as posh would set up camp on the verges of the North Circular.

mr B