Subtereanean subterfuge

This forum is for all off-topic (ie. non-railway) discussion.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

chaz harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: Subtereanean subterfuge

Post by chaz harrison »

Golders Green, Mr B, and that after Liverpool Street?

the worry here is that you are opening the possibility of a Montreal Move - Nasty!
Heading north on the Edgware line is fraught with risks (The horrid Brent Cross lurks close by).
So I will nip back sharply to Moorgate .......another place where sadly N2s no longer lurk

Chaz
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Sacre Bleu! Mon Dieu! The Montreal Move! Don't go there. No end to the difficulties of two official languages, so let's stick with plain old English here and go with L'eau du Canada. Oops, I meant Canada Water.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

I must protest in the most vehement manner at the use of Canada Water, as it is an example of modern trends creeping into this game - namely the use of what is politely termed the Gin and Tonic diversion.

Such upmarket middle class bourguoise nonsense has no real place in the game and I must refer this once again to the senior invigilator at the Bullingden Club for a definitive ruling.

Meanwhile, may I suggest that the more literary scholars amongst us would automatically go for Stratford
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
Flamingo
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Flamingo »

Whilst sympathising with your plea for a return to the traditional ethics of the game, I fear that in this case an appeal to the invigilator would prove fruitless. The point has already been tested in the highest courts of the land (see Patel v Regina, All England Law Journal 2009. vol. 99. page 588) and decided in favour of the appellant. Regrettable to players of the old school, yes, but it opens the way for a play of Cyprus, which may well raise blood pressures beyond levels hitherto regarded as safe.
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Autocar Publicity »

Regarding the recent debates over what is possible to play, I cannot resist the temptation to remind players that, "Once the impossible has been eliminated, what remains, however improbable, must be the truth... " Baker Street (of course)
PGBerrie
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by PGBerrie »

giner wrote:Sacre Bleu! Mon Dieu! The Montreal Move! Don't go there. No end to the difficulties of two official languages, so let's stick with plain old English here and go with L'eau du Canada. Oops, I meant Canada Water.
This lapse into bilingualism calls to mind the ECC candidates match between C.A.J.M. de Gaulle and M.H. Macmillan in January 1963 and the play by Supermac which provoked the infamous Non! - which I will now play again: Theydon Bois!
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

All this pan european jargon has got me flummoxed so i will pick up my passport and entrain for PIMLICO
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

And now that my thoughts are firmly back over the pond in Blighty after the dubious bilingual delights of Canada, and into the realm of fantasy with passports to Pimlico, in deference to Stanley of celluloid fame, I suggest a run up to Holloway Road.
chaz harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by chaz harrison »

Theydon Bois,
Pimlico,
Holloway Road,

Sorry boys....

Mornington Crescent

Talk about an open goal......
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

Message understood
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
mr B
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by mr B »

fond memories of 60010, as we depart.
PGBerrie
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by PGBerrie »

Au revoir, auf Wiedersehen, goodbye,

Peter
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Well you cant win em all
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Humph!!

(God rest his terrainially sorely missed soul.)
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Coboman
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Coboman »

ermmmmm Pants! :?
Its good to know where you stand. Saves making a fool of yourself later......