Travel advice for a visitor

This forum is for all off-topic (ie. non-railway) discussion.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

owd sweedy
LNER J39 0-6-0

Travel advice for a visitor

Post by owd sweedy »

Gentlemen, I am making one of my rare trips to the UK in April and hope to do some travelling by rail. The last time I took a train in the UK was in BR days. I knew just about enough to get around on them, but these days I am totally confused by the plethora of private companies and where they go or don't go, and the almost indecipherable internet ticket requirements. So I need some advice. Primarily, my last trip is from Edinburgh to Gatwick via KX, on Sunday 1st May. The Kings Cross bit is straightforward. Where I am having problems is from KX to Gatwick. I would like to go direct if possible and not have to lug suitcases onto the tube or whatever. Some one over here told me that Thameslink was direct but after searching I see they no longer exist. I am happy to leave from St Pancras if it helps, but I am getting the feeling that one or even two changes will have to be made. Any advice? By the way my sister in Edinburgh thinks that train travel on a Sunday and a bank holiday is tantamount to lunacy. I know I could fly but I would just love to travel the East Coast mainline again.
Cheers,
Peter
in Ottawa
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Travel advice for a visitor

Post by strang steel »

I think the Thameslink service is still running, but now by First Capital Connect. I am sure the Bedford to Brighton trains still run via the Thameslink station at St Pancras.

However, I have not been there for a year or so and could be in error.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 60041 »

You will need to make 2 changes: Kings Cross to Victoria or London Bridge via London Underground, then Victoria or London Bridge to Gatwick via Gatwick Express.
You should be able to access the East Coast Trains or Raileasy websites for details, just put in the start and finish points, the date and time, and click "get tickets" there is no obligation to purchase.

http://www.raileasy.co.uk/go/home

http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/

If you do travel, give me a wave as you go past, I'm on the right about 70 minutes south of Edinburgh.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

If you do decide to go via the Underground your Gatwick to (north of KX) ticket automatically includes the Underground unless you specify otherwise. If the ticket is properly encoded for the underground it will have a small "+" dagger mark on it. If it doesn't it will not operate the automatic barriers. I used to work at both BR KX and Paddington LUL and it was amazing how many staff on LUL didn't understand this, as training was comparatively poor.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

The Thameslink from (King's Cross/)St.Pancras International ('low level') platforms across London conundrum (does it/doesn't it run) probably arises from the fact that, yes, First Capital Connect does still run its Thameslink route trains between north of, and south of, London via SPI, but I think there has been, and is, no weekend running on the cross-London bit while the much-delayed and long-winded Thameslink Upgrade engineering works take place.

I stand to be corrected, but I can't think from memory of a very practical alternative route from SPI ('high level' platforms) to Gatwick using the 'South Eastern's 'Javelin' trains, and suspect that, as mentioned, the London Underground (Sunday line or section closures for its own upgrading, permitting), or perhaps bus service(s) if there is a convenient routeing, or taxi cab, may be the realistic, though potentially suitcases-unfriendly, way to go.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
kudu
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by kudu »

Gatwick Express will get you there quickly, but at a price.

I think you will find it cheaper if you exploit your knowledge that Gatwick is on the Brighton Line.

Kudu
simonh
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by simonh »

First Capital Connect trains on the Bedford - Brighton route call at St Pancras and Gatwick, weekdays only due to long-term engineering work at the weekends.

Strangely if you look up St.P - Gatwick at National Rail Enquiries, http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/, they will send you via the Northern line to London Bridge. However, if you look up say St. Albans-Gatwick it will give a direct train and if you look at intermediate stops you will find St Pancras, e.g. StP dep 11.24, arr Gtw 12.10. It is fairly easy getting from KX to StP FCC platforms with luggage and if you have 10 minutes to spare you can enjoy the beautiful space that StP has become.

If travelling at the weekend I recommend the London Bridge route. I did this journey last weekend and found it quick and easy, the trains left every 15 minutes from LBR and took 29 minutes. Coming back I went via Victoria, which I regretted as it was far busier.

I would check ticket prices Edinburgh - GTW as well as separate tickets.

HTH
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 60041 »

simonh wrote: I would check ticket prices Edinburgh - GTW as well as separate tickets.

HTH
East Coast are offering through tickets for about £45
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

StevieG: I can see that being a bit of a hassle, but hopefully it will be quicker after the upgrades.

I used to use Thameslink a lot (I used to live in Crawley and even when I moved to the US, the airlines initially tended to fly into Gatwick).

To the original query: use it if you can (whatever it is called this week!). Yes it is a bit of a walk with luggage between the two Kings Cross Stations, but this beats using the Tube with luggage. Also it is about twice as fast as the Tube+standard train option (admittedly the Gatwick Express may well equal things out).

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

There's a lot of disruption in Central London on the Underground services due to the Crossrail project and extensive upgrades to cater for the Olympics traffic. It's another conversation as to why those who live and/or work in the Metropolis have to have their lives messed around with most days for 2 years or more but such is the way of the world. And for once your sister is right... :wink:

There's a hub site that links to 'now and upcoming' information for each of the Train Operating Companies and also Transport for London (TfL), but it does rely on you knowing which franchise is operating which service and the names of the stations you might want to use: http://www.nexusalpha.co.uk/index.php?location=4.1

These other two sites might help as well: http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/user/X ... anguage=en and http://www.transportdirect.info/Web2/Ho ... tingloop=Y

You have a week or so in which to find your way around them, but more importantly you can see the planned works/disruptions that will help you route your journey. Once you are sure of your times and routes it's a very good idea to book tickets well in advance - you can save a lot of money that way. Have a very pleasant visit.
owd sweedy
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by owd sweedy »

Gentlemen,
Thank you all for the helpful suggestions, explanations and useful, links that have helped me navigate my way around the system, I am most grateful to you. When I am over there I am hoping to get to the York model railway show at Easter, as well as Pendon museum and I fancy a day at the Bo'ness and Kenneil Rly when I am up in Scotland.
Thanks again.
Peter.
In Ottawa.
PGBerrie
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by PGBerrie »

If you are really doing a lot of travel by rail during your stay, you might consider a Britrail pass http://www.britrail.com/passes/britrail-pass. It's paper, so you have to allow time for it to arrive by post, but it is good value for money. It includes the Gatwick Express.

Peter