Our poor little cat

This forum is for all off-topic (ie. non-railway) discussion.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Our poor little cat

Post by Blink Bonny »

Our little deaf cat, Jim-Jim, went out to play yesterday morning and came home with an air gun pellet lodged in her. She spent all day yesterday sat very carefully with her legs tucked under her in the bathroom doorway feeling very sorry for herself until it was Vet time. Her sister, Rosie, with whom she has a mutual hatred normally, sat with her all day.

Come Vet time, she allowed me to pick her up. Normally Jim-Jim HATES being picked up and struggles until put down. She cried out in pain but that was all. She then was happy to be carried down the stairs, a first let me tell you! She went into the cat basket without the usual fight. We ought to have known then that there was something very wrong.

The Vet has X-rayed her twice and we now know that the pellet is very close to her kidney and may be lodged inside it. If this is the case then, at 14, she is too old to have the kidney removed and we will have a most unpleasant choise to make. It may be possible for her to survuve for a couple of years with the pellet inside her but we don't know yet and will she be in constant pain? And if she is, will it be fair on her to keep her alive?

We live in a very good area which has very little in the way of disturbances or criminal activity other than speeding! The Vet says that it was a classic site for gun wounds to cats, in the rear flank. If you have cats please don't ignore even the slightest injury. If your kids have air guns, please impress on them that this is not clever and definitely not funny.

I'd like to play a little game with the shootist, an air gun and a few tins of pellets meself. Mrs BB suggests making Dum-Dum pellets. We're that angry.

Thanks for letting me share this with you.

Blink Bonny aka Nigel Terry

On behalf of Jim-Jim.
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Re: Our poor little cat

Post by CVR1865 »

Really sorry to hear about poor Jim-Jim. My cat is 14 too, have had cats all my life so hope that she is ok and I certainly understand your concerns.
Is she a keen railway sleeper?
best
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

News from the Vet.

The shot missed her vital organs and had lodged in her intestine. It has been removed, she has had her internal cavity valeted (the Vet's description) and so, hopefully, should be home soon.

I'll keep you posted.

BB
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

Good to hear.
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
simonh
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by simonh »

Good news BB.

We were very sad when we lost our cat last year, aged 19. Still he had a good innings & died of natural causes. Now we get lots of feline trespassers in our garden - he had been keeping them at bay almost up to the last.

Now that I'm home again I'll look for that article I promised you.

Cheers
Simon.
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

You now need a dog to chase away the feline trespassers.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

It was OUR cat that was shot by persons unknown n a location unknown, Kestrel.

Anyway, it's all looking better now. The Vet informs us that sehas perked up and is talking to everybody there. She's yet to eat anything and her bowels ave yet to move but that's all we're waiting for before she can come home, much sadder and wiser I reckon.
osprey
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by osprey »

Well I'm glad the diagnosis is good. I inherited a cat (female) when my dad of 100 years died recently. He was always worried what would happen to it. I've grown very fond of it and it follows me around the house. I went through the vet trip about two years ago because of fleas. Being naive I took it in a cardboard carrier the vet gave me............it managed to punch its way out! Unfortunately it's picked up fleas again..............but there will be no vet trip! Will treat it with one of these flea kits. Talk of the devil it's just jumped up on my knee and is chining me ........it's happy as a larry! I'd hate to think what I'd do if anyone shot this one............
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Mrs BB says "Frontline." Its a flea killer sold by the vets or Boots and works extremely well and can be done at home. When we do de-flea our two, we get the sort of look that, if looks could kill, would leave two smoking where we were stood!

Been to see her this PM and the Vet says she can come home tomorrow. She has a sort of stubbly patch on her rear flank and is still feeling rather sorry for herself.

But she was glad to see us!

Thanks for everything. Mrs BB had to censor both my previous posts on this one.

We have prodded a bit of a Hornet's nest.

Try this link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-13094038

She's also in our local paper and we hope that this will prod somebody's conscience and dobs the $#%^&*@ in to the police.

I reckon I'll find plenty to do in the garden because she doesn't wander far. And I'll find the $#%^&*@ meself. I have the PCs private number and I'm not afraid to use it!
osprey
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by osprey »

Looks like there will be one little spoilt kitty today......................... :D
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

Isn't it about time that the authorities required a license for an air gun?

I cant see any reason for anyone under 21 to be allowed one.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

As someone who was very much brought up with air guns, I reckon a bit of education. Fact. The number of incidents involving handguns has increased since they were banned. Ergo banningsomething simply makes it the biggest nd baddest t'ing on de street, man. Licensing? Criminals, by definition, do not obey the law. However, since the local paper article I have not heard an airgun crack and I know for a fact that there are at least two within earshot.

More good news. JimJim is, indeed, home and, as someone has said, she is now one very spoilt kitty. Two more vet visits to come, though.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

She's home and here on my lap.

Sadder and wiser but otherwise no long term damage. We hope.

Cheers, all.

Nigel Terry on behalf of Jim-Jim
Attachments
Jim-Jim Home.jpg
mr B
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by mr B »

brought tears to my eye , just love happy ending's .. now thats the stuff Disney movies are made from !!!

mr b
StoneRoad
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by StoneRoad »

BB, I'm glad to hear/see jim-jim is getting better....go right ahead and spoil her!

I hope that the little b^&&^&&! who shot her gets their just deserts......
Saluton. mi estas fervojistino, kaj vi?

visit http://www.ipernity.com/doc/312383/album

to see what has been done! Perhaps we can do something for you?