Subterranean Subterfuge - Round the 2nd

This forum is for all off-topic (ie. non-railway) discussion.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Subterranean Subterfuge - Round the 2nd

Post by giner »

And wasn't it Hylda Baker who was known for using the phrase, "Ee, common as muck!"? Speaking of commons, one that springs to mind would be close to EALING BROADWAY.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

"She knows, you know"

Although I thought my mention of Mr Coward would alert you to the fact that I was invoking the Wilde Gambit (although there has never been any real proof that Oscar actually used the move to his advantage).

My play of Clapham Common should have been trumped by your response of Queensway, but I fear that the riposte of Ealing Broadway is an even more deviously clever manoeuvre than I first calculated.

I think that because the entire playing group on this forum will be overcome by jealousy at your vastly superior play, I have only one choice but to go for.....

Turnham Green
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Look here, SS. Now I'm worried. A scant seven posts ago Turnham Green was proposed. Is this a conspiracy of some sort by a covert 'green' group? If so, my Totteridge & Whetstone should have placated the tree huggers. If, however, my proposal of Ealing Broadway was such a dastardly ploy, I'd be glad to know what that ploy would be.

That said, the W5 (that's similar to the G8 but far more Top Secret) summit held deep under Swiss Cottage (not the Finchley Road one, but several hundred feet below Zurich) passed a motion that I stay with 'Broadway', so . . . FULHAM BROADWAY.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

Yes, sorry about that.

I was brought up playing the game with Count Wolfgang Von Heinrich of Prussia and his five wives, who could play a devilishly good game. They used the Cranthorpe rules (1908 revision) and one major feature they insisted on was never take any notice of previous plays (other than the one you are responding to, of course) until after your turn.

This led to much repetition and great amusement, as if the same play came up more than once in the previous ten, the perpetrator was given the awesome task of choosing the vintage of the next bottle of champagne to be opened.

It was such a hoot, I'm sure you will appreciate, and woe betide anyone who picked a notably unpalatable year (such as 1925).

For this reason only I must respond with

Ruislip Gardens
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
PGBerrie
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by PGBerrie »

As UK Uncut might put it "It's not so much a conspiracy as a network of people who self-organize - we're empowering the people to go out there and be creative". So since the devil is now in play, I have to exorcize him/her/it with Parsons Green.

Peter
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Autocar Publicity »

I think the devil might be reluctant to leave - I refer you to Westminster
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

one retort to the last play UPMINSTER.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

Upminster, Upminster. Well Sir I am undone. to be honest I think you must be Barking Thank you and good day.
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

I always find Barking such a difficult one to follow, but for a number of years as a memorial to my old faithful 'Jack', I have adopted the habit of responding with

Russell Square
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

I wonder if Lord Russell ever visited the North Western frontier AMERSHAM.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
third-rail
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by third-rail »

no i think he came to a sticky end WATERLOO
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Autocar Publicity »

When it comes to sticky ends, sitting on your toast and marmalade is a favourite (?) which of course reminds us all of LC Stanton's bare necessities and the time he sat on his humdrummits... Whilst I soak in the bath, consider Paddington.
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Do be careful about soaking in the bath, AP. If the temperature of the water's not warm enough it could lead to shrinkage at HACKNEY WICK.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

Ah, but is Hackney Wick allowed?

Or are we beginning to wriggle out of the rules laid down in the 1974 Yearbook, which seems to have been recognised as the modern authority on the subject?

After all, where might this trend lead? Penzance? Thurso? Holyhead? Slough?

Oh good gracious, I think I am coming over all faint - NURSE! TRIPLE MY MEDICATION - AT ONCE, IF YOU PLEASE

but before I go, I must warn everyone that by not adhering to the Palm Court rules the game will descend into anarchy. There are pitfalls and traps everywhere, and I must therefore point you to

Snaresbrook
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Sorry about Hackney Wick, SS. Just had to pop up for a breath of fresh air. So Snaresbrook. Still out in the open, then.

Not being one to flout the rules, even as antiquarian as 1974 - although suitably amended in 1975 after a heavy night in the Rose and Crown, I suppose we'd better get deep under the surface again, HOLBORN. Deep enough?