Kindle

This forum is for all off-topic (ie. non-railway) discussion.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Kindle

Post by 52A »

Does anyone have a Kindle and have you found any free to download railway books?

Tomlinson available here:-

http://www.archive.org/details/northeas ... 00tomluoft
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Kindle

Post by strang steel »

Not a Kindle, but I do have Adobe Digital Editions reader for my Mac laptop and the iPhone equivalent.

I have never really thought about searching for railway books, but I might have a look. I tend to read cheap biographies of people on screen, because my house is groaning under the weight of books already and I am too lazy to use the local library (if it is still open).
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Kindle

Post by richard »

The free books are almost always out of copyright - eg. the Gutenberg collection. So it can be a great way of catching up on classics!

I don't use the Kindle itself, but I have the Kindle software on the iPad - and I prefer it to the Apple iBook software. I do have Tomlinson but as that is a scanned PDF, it is very large and not the best book for eReaders - also being a PDF, I have to use the iBook reader. Not the best combination.

These ebook readers work best with novels where the flexible formatting doesn't matter. I have quite a few computer text books on the iPad. Seemed a great idea at the time (instantly save a few feet of bookcase space) but navigating can be difficult (I'm a multi-fingered textbook reader), and diagrams often aren't perfect.

Along similar lines, there's Zinio for electronic magazines. They have quite a few railway magazines - considerably cheaper than paying airmail for those of us who are overseas!

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia