Vulcan Bomber

This forum is for all off-topic (ie. non-railway) discussion.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

50C
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Vulcan Bomber

Post by 50C »

I have just moved house to Farnham in Surrey and on Sunday morning was hacking my way through my jungle of a garden when a Vulcan flew over head at a very low altitude heading south-what a magnificent sight.I am assuming it had just left Farnborough which is about 5 miles to the north of where I live.
I believe it is the only one still flying but I thought the enthusiasts had run out of money to keep it airworthy unless another one has risen from the dead.Can anyone please enlighten me on the current situation.

Many thanks.

50c
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Vulcan Bomber

Post by 65447 »

I believe that there are sufficient funds to permit a very limited number of flights each year, plus there are issues in terms of its airworthiness certificate due to the age of parts which also imposes restrictions, see: http://www.vulcantothesky.org/
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Yes the airframe has a very limited number of hours left and huge amounts have been spent trying to get it into the air. A great sight to see - but an expensive, short-lived one!

Rather different to a Pacific restoration where the boiler can usually be patched or even replaced.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I have only ever seen one Vulcan bomber, we were driving up a valley in north Wales, when this Vulcan did a 180degree turn right in front of us, absolutely magic.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 60041 »

I am glad to hear that it is still flying, I thought that they had run out of money.
A couple of years ago, it appeared at an air show at East Fortune and flew down the coast from there and turned directly over our house before flying back again. I will never forget the sight or sound as this huge plane came over at quite low altitude and turned, I think my daughter thought that it was coming in through her bedroom window; it really was that close!
I sincerely hope that they can find a way to keep it airworthy, it is a magnificent machine that should be seen (and heard) by everbody.
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by 2562 »

Yes the airframe has a very limited number of hours left and huge amounts have been spent trying to get it into the air. A great sight to see - but an expensive, short-lived one!
XH558 returned to flight in 2007 and current estimates (funding permitting) are that the engines (not the airframe) have a handful of years left in them. The cost is all down to the fact this aircraft has to be run as a single plane airline that is prohibited from carrying any passengers!

for full details plus the opportunity to buy souveniers and be parted from your cash in various ways please visit http://www.vulcantothesky.org/
Last edited by 2562 on Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

Andy.
Isinglass Models
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by 52A »

A unique aircraft holding many memories, walking in the Cheviots and looking down on one flying up the valley below, a Vulcan scramble at Finningley air display and latterly at Farnborough air display. Read Vulcan 607 by Rowland White, the story of the bombing of Stanley airfield, edge of the seat stuff!
50C
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 50C »

I think I may have been at the same air display at Finningley.I got married in the August of 1971 and I took my wife to the show in the September.The ever lasting memory of the day was the spectacular sight and sound of three vulcans taking off in V formation.The noise scared the living daylights out of the dearly beloved so consequently it was the first and last show she ever attended.

50c
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

When I was at RAF Waddington in the 1970s they did that on a regular basis, not in threes but in two pairs of two. The second pair would begin rolling once the first two were half way down the runway and I always wondered how difficult it must have been accelerating through the 'wake' left by the forward pair.

The noise was tremendous and everything shook, especially my ribcage but it was quite an awesome sight never to be forgotten.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
hq1hitchin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by hq1hitchin »

I can remember sitting in Swaledale one summer's day in the 1970s and seeing a Vulcan flying past, so low he appeared to be beneath us. Simply wonderful!
A topper is proper if the train's a non-stopper!
rob237
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by rob237 »

In the latter days of XH 558's RAF life, when she was the only remaining flying example, the tremendous noise (and almost vertical climbs) was always provided when being piloted by Sqn Ldr Paul Millikin, a Victor tanker pilot from RAF Marham in his 'day job'.

The displays when flown by the other captain, Sqn Ldr Dave Thomas, were invariably more sedate. Dave Thomas was also the display pilot from 2007, in its preservation mode.
These final displays are less dramatic - to save on fuel and with deference to its 50 year old air frame!

A famous earlier Vulcan display pilot was Sqn Ldr Joe Le Strange who, at about five foot nothing, could hardly see out of the cockpit windows but always 'poured on the coals' and did many amazing manoevres...

Cheers
Robt P.
Coboman
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Coboman »

In the early 80s I was in the cliffs at Kettleness and several flew in from the north sea, so low I could see the tops of them. Just before they got to land they hit the after burners and climbed at about 45 deg just above my head. A sight and deafening sound I will never ever forget. I do hope I get to see XH558 fly again.....
Its good to know where you stand. Saves making a fool of yourself later......
rob237
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by rob237 »

Coboman wrote:... they hit the after burners and climbed at about 45 deg just above my head...
Never, ever, fitted to any Vulcan...
4 x Rolls-Royce Olympus engines (each at 20,000 lbs of thrust) provided all the racket.

Cheers
Robt P.
Coboman
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Coboman »

rob237 wrote:
Coboman wrote:... they hit the after burners and climbed at about 45 deg just above my head...
Never, ever, fitted to any Vulcan...
4 x Rolls-Royce Olympus engines (each at 20,000 lbs of thrust) provided all the racket.

Cheers
Robt P.
Oh well, I'm not a plane ned. But whatever they did it was awsome.
Its good to know where you stand. Saves making a fool of yourself later......
rob237
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by rob237 »

rob237 wrote:... Never, ever, fitted to any Vulcan...
Too emphatic a statement...

"In April 1973, XA903 flew with an underbelly Rolls-Royce RB.199 turbofan destined for the Panavia Tornado. The RB.199 engine included both the reheat and thrust reverser functions..."

Apologies...

Cheers
Robt P.