Vulcan Bomber

This forum is for all off-topic (ie. non-railway) discussion.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Vulcan Bomber

Post by richard »

coboman: And many Olympus engines definitely did have after burners fitted - for example, those fitted to the Concordes, and also intended for the TSR2. (but I doubt the Naval and industrial versions do! :-) )

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Ferrybridge Flyer
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Ferrybridge Flyer »

I was also lucky enough to see a Vulcan scramble at Finningley-it must have been the late seventies i was with my grandparents.I never forgot that!! I also grew up in Knottingley,right on the flight path for Ferrybridge power station,which at 6pm mon-fri was visited by a Vulcan,which would then turn round and head back to base.Incredible-the finest aeroplane ever built.I have film of Roly Falk barrel-rolling one at Farnborough in the 50s.That has to be seen to be believed.One air display at RAF Church Fenton i was at,the Vulcan set off all the car alarms!!!Yes,the book by Rowland White is excellent.Much recommended!!
Bring back Ferrybridge station!
YNMR
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by YNMR »

I worked in Lincoln in the 1980's at the council offices at the top of the High Street & RAF Waddington were exercising the freedom of the city they held & were marching up the High Street & through the arch at the top (the Stonebow) were the Lord Mayor was to take the salute.
Also it was planned that the last operational vulcan was to overfly the parade up the High Street passing over the Stonebow as the Lord Mayor took the salute.
We could hear the Vulcan before it took off from Waddington & it was a most amazing sight as it roared up Lincoln High Street at what seemed like a very low height and at what appeared to be full power!!! A sight not to forget.
Trafford Park
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Trafford Park »

XH 603 has been a static exhibit at BAE Woodford (Where they were all built) for many years. I started at Woodford in 69 just as they delivered the first Nimrod and was made redundant when they dumped the 146/RJ project in 02. I don't know what will happen to it now the factory has closed down. On the east side the line from Stockport to Macclesfield was just over the perimeter fence. I've never seen any pictures of a plane landing over a train. Wonder if anyone ever tried it.
Cheers Dave