Sunny Stevenage

This forum is for all off-topic (ie. non-railway) discussion.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

hq1hitchin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Sunny Stevenage

Post by hq1hitchin »

For Giner and any others who remember the way it was. Judy Geeson now 63? Oh dear, oh dear!

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7mbY ... sfX1PI1hWo
A topper is proper if the train's a non-stopper!
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Sunny Stevenage

Post by giner »

Oh dear, oh dear, indeed, hq1. So many familiar scenes there. Rockin' good nights at Bowes Lyon and the Mecca. Stevenage can never be the same again for me. Thanks so much.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Stevenage old town was ok i guess but i never went out of Stevenage North station. :wink:
Last edited by Mickey on Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Micky, did you know a signalman who went by the name of 'dubber'? Might have been a bit before your time, though, about 1955/56. Many a time he'd let us into Langley box of an evening for a cuppa. Never knew his real name, but he got his nickname, I think, as a result of one of his favourite sayings, "If you don't behave yourself, I'll send you up to Dundee on a Dubdee." Great bloke. :)
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Dubber?. No sorry giner although i mite have heard of him but by a different name?.
Last edited by Mickey on Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Micky wrote:Hello giner, no that was well before my time, a fella who was at LANGLEY JUNCTION a lot in the early 1970s that i remember was DAVE WOTTON who's dad JACK was at WELWYN NORTH way back in the 1930s (Jack was mentioned in passing in the OFFICIAL REPORT in to the 1935 WELWYN GARDEN CITY accident) and was still at WELWYN NORTH in the early 1960s i believe?. Dave Wotton was on the relief and spent a lot of his time at LANGLEY JUNCTION in the early 1970s although i think i remember Dave also working WOOLMER GREEN on several occasions as well around that time?. Dave eventually ended up in KINGS CROSS PSB from the mid 1970s onwards and stayed there untill he retired about 10 years ago i believe?

The signalman who let me up STEVENAGE NORTH box on a couple of occasions with him back in 1972 was a fella called MO (MORRIS) KANTER who was a HITCHIN relief signalman i believe and had been on the job since L.N.E.R. days in the 1930s, i believe MO only died in recent years although i hadn't seen him since about 1973/74.
''Happy days'' :wink:
Hi Micky,
Didn't know Dave Wootton had been at Langley - presumably went there when resignalling got to and through the Hatfield and Welwyn GC areas, because in the late 1960s he had been one of the regular men at Hatfield No.1, along with Frank Brandon.
Met Mo Kantor only once or twice, when he was relieving my host at New Barnet South box in the same period - always travelled by motorcycle I believe. There's a really old photo of him and several others all on their m/c's in one of ex-signalman/controller/KX ASM George Case's several memoirs booklets*, who was also one of the pictured motorcyclists.

* - (Published by the Potters Bar and District Historical Society)
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \