The Signalman

This forum is for all off-topic (ie. non-railway) discussion.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

brsince78
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Re: The Signalman

Post by brsince78 »

Bringing the story up to date I would add:-

Southall + Ladbroke Grove as the catalysts for the introduction of TPWS
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Micky wrote:
52D wrote:...and the one i am currently working on the derailment of the up Scotch Express at Marshall Meadows.
I have a rather good clear picture of this accident taken around 1888 or 89 i think it was without seeing the book?.

A large group of railwaymen & possibly members of the public standing and laying on an embankment watching a steam crane lift a locomotive from the wreckage.
Micky you are a lucky chap any chance of a copy. The history about the photos of this crash are as interesting as the actual event. There were two commercial photographers in Berwick who hastened to the scene and took a lot of pics. These were advertised for sale in the next edition of the Berwick Advertiser.
Three of the pics were converted to Lithographs for the Illustrated London News and at least one is known to exist as a magic lantern slide. I have the 3 Lithographs and one pic it would be interesting if yours is a different view.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Dont worry Micky i have it in my collection, i just thought it might have been one of the others :(
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
simonb
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by simonb »

With regard to the two brick huts each end of Burdale Tunnel, the Board of Trade inspection report for the line states 'An electric telegraph has been carried through it'. And the instructions for working the single line, included in the report, state 'Under no circumstances will any train be allowed to pass through the tunnel until the proper signals have been made by the electric telegraph from end to end.' This would indicate that in the event of two trains passing through the section in the same direction, it had to be ensured that only one train could be in the tunnel at a time.
As I don't know what design the NER used for their P Way huts, I can't say whether the two huts were P Way huts or signal boxes, but near the South end hut (as seen in a photo on the Yorkshire Wolds Railway site) there was a nearby cottage and this could have been provided for a signalman.
As I have only just joined the Encyclopedia I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post them, but I have photos of the whole BoT inspection report for the line in 1853
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 2392 »

I have it on DVD, with Denham Elliot as the titular character. Though I haven't got round to watching, despite having the DVD for years...... :roll:
Mickey
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by Mickey »

Apologies to all with regards to the previous deleted posts on this topic thread that came about over a misunderstanding on my behalf.

The Signalman television film from 1976- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Signalman_(film)

I saw it by chance once on the television a few decades ago and it is an interesting short railway related film. Also I once saw it available on dvd in the Waterloo Ian Allan shop that has recently closed about 15 years ago and should have bought it but didn't bother for some reason?.
Last edited by Mickey on Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 2392 »

[quote=Mickey post_id=139962 time=1610481133 user_id=4824]
[i]Apologies to all with regards to the previous deleted posts on this topic thread that came about over a misunderstanding on my behalf.[/i]

[i][b]The Signalman television film from 1976-[/b][/i] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Signalman_(film)

I saw it by chance once on the television a few decades ago and it is an interesting short railway related film. Also I once saw it available on dvd in the Waterloo Ian Allan shop that has recently closed about 15 years ago and should have bought it but didn't bother for some reason?.

[i]I do that every night where I am look out on a empty railway station after midnight with a [color=#FF0000][b]red[/b][/color] signal light at the end of the station platform.[/i]
[/quote]

FYI everybody, I bought my copy on eBay or was it Amazon not sure which come to think of it a few years ago. The DVD is called Ghost Stories [Classic adaptions from the BBC]. It has not only the Signalman by Charles Diskens], Stigma, The Ice House.
Last edited by 2392 on Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mickey
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by Mickey »

I saw it a few decades ago and I saw a dvd of it about 15 years ago but didn't buy it.
Last edited by Mickey on Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
kudu
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by kudu »

As the topic came up, I've posted separately my account of the Staplehurst accident and its connection with "The Signal-Man" (sic). Please ignore attachments - don't know how to remove them.

Kudu
rockinjohn
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by rockinjohn »

Hi Mickey&all Not sure if many or yourself have caught Billy Connelly telling the joke about a signalman having a test with an inspector, hoping for promotion, told to him by an older comedian named Hector?its up on "You Tube".