The ultimate new build

This forum is for all off-topic (ie. non-railway) discussion.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

brsince78
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Re: The ultimate new build

Post by brsince78 »

Looking decidedly dodgy to me...... http://www.canberratimes.com.au/federal ... o4y5k.html
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Thanks for posting the above press article.

As Lew Grade once said about his 1980 film Raise The Titanic "It would have been cheaper to lower the Atlantic". :wink:

Mickey
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

It was a pity the sister ship of the Titanic the Olympic wasn't saved from the cutters torch after being taken out of service in 1935 and cut up during 1936/37 no doubt the Olympic if it had been it saved would have doubled as the Titanic on many occasions down the years.

Mickey
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

My maternal grandfather was a ship's cook and the story in the family was that he was on the ship that sailed out before the Titanic. I don't know it's name or if there is any way of finding out. He used to make the finest scouse (stew) I've ever had. He'd let it simmer on a low light for what seemed like hours, but it was worth it.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Kestrel wrote:My maternal grandfather was a ship's cook and the story in the family was that he was on the ship that sailed out before the Titanic. I don't know it's name or if there is any way of finding out. He used to make the finest scouse (stew) I've ever had. He'd let it simmer on a low light for what seemed like hours, but it was worth it.
Apparently 'slow cooking' is the new 'in thing' in cooking at the moment according to a BBC radio 4 food programme i heard about 3 months ago cooking casseroles slowly makes them taste very tasty.

I also heard on the radio as well with regards to ship's cooks and ships sinking is apparently a well known thing in navy circles that the ship's cook 'usually always survives' a sinking for some strange reason??. The fairly recent true story of a ship's cook on a sea going tug that went down last year and who survived the sinking and was rescued alive after being on the bottom for several days!!!.

Mickey
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 2392 »

FINSBURY PARK 5 wrote:It was a pity the sister ship of the Titanic the Olympic wasn't saved from the cutters torch after being taken out of service in 1935 and cut up during 1936/37 no doubt the Olympic if it had been it saved would have doubled as the Titanic on many occasions down the years.

Mickey
There's a story that the British Government of the time had going to buy her and the Mauritania. When they were withdrawn by the combined Cunard White Star line and converted into troop ships operated as Royal Naval Auxiluries. What's more if I remember rightly when the British Government lost interest the Italians expressed an interest instead for the same purpose. As it stands Aquitania was about to be withdrawn in 1939, but with the start of the second world war, she was taken into service by the Government as a troop ship and survived until 1950 before being finally withdrawn and scrapped. She'd been taken under contract into service by the Canadian Government 1945-50 to transport Candian Military Personnel home from Europe, after the war. Case of so near, so far for the last of those Edwardian era 4 funnel liners......
Last edited by 2392 on Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

There are even worse examples - the deliberate "scuttling" of HMS Implacable in 1949! 74 gun ship of the line - fought at Trafalgar, albeit for the French. At the time, the Royal Navy's second oldest ship!

I remember seeing the stern at the National Maritime Museum, and amazed that it survived into the 1940s and wasn't saved.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Regarding the 3 liners the Mauretania, Lusitania & Aquitania.

Mauretania & Aquitania were converted for war service but Lusitania was 'overlooked' and remained as a passenger liner crossing the north Atlantic after war was declared between Britain & Germany in August 1914.

The German's posted a advert in the New York Times warning any intending passenger's sailing on the Lusitania from New York to Liverpool in May 1915 that the ship was going to be sailing into a 'war zone' around the britain isles and therefore could be sunk which is exactly what happened to her when she was torpedoed by a U-boat off the south west coast of southern Ireland with a heavy loss of life.

Mickey
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Two replica ships that are now no more are sir Frances Drake ship the Golden Hinde that was on permanent static display at Southend-on-sea in her own water dock on the seafront esplande since about 1950. She was a fine looking full-size replica of the Golden Hinde although i believe that she wasn't seaworthy and HMS Bounty that was built for the Mutiny On The Bounty film with Marlon Brando she was lost in a hurricane storm back in 2012.

Mickey
Last edited by Mickey on Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

A quick google came with two other replicas: the one at Brixham (which I walked past when I took a water taxi/ferry there once), and another in Southwark which has made some ocean crossing trips.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

richard wrote:A quick google came with two other replicas: the one at Brixham (which I walked past when I took a water taxi/ferry there once), and another in Southwark which has made some ocean crossing trips.
If your referrring to the Golden Hinde Richard yes i believe there are several full-size replicas of her floating about so to speak.

Mickey
Last edited by Mickey on Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Yes Golden Hinde. The loss of a replica when there are a few, is perhaps less important than the loss of an original such as the Olympic or the Implacable.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

This is worth a look at the 50ft model of the RMS Titanic the model that was used in the 1980 film Raise The Titanic the film that nearly sunk Lew Grade. :wink:

http://www.titanic-model.com/models/rai ... moviemodel