The ultimate new build

This forum is for all off-topic (ie. non-railway) discussion.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: The ultimate new build

Post by giner »

Thing is, this whole Titanic thing is an industry all by itself nowadays. By virtue of its anniversary, it's become the 'cool du jour' thing again, and this too shall pass. They're all glomming onto it. Hollywood, media blitzes, hustle up any obscure relatives in front of a camera, get the 30-second soundbite, etc.
Hey, there's money to be made, and those good at that sort of activity aren't going to pass up any opportunity to do so; but we all know this, anyway. Quaintly sad yet impressed with the starmaking machinery at the same time is how I view it, really.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

No, "cool" isn't the right word. More like "kitsch".

And yes I've seen the "Titanic Hotel" in Pigeon Forge,TN - only a few miles from Dollywood, up in the Appalachians. Built to look like half of an Olympic Class White Star Liner, and no discernible connection between Pigeon Forge and the Titanic (at least Dolly Parton comes from the area, making Dollywood one of the most genuine things there!)
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Q.-Wot about the RMS EMPRESS of IRELAND going down with just over 1.000 lives in 1914?. :?

A.-EMPRESS of IRELAND never heard of her?. :|

A.-Exactly. :wink:
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Yes, went down in the St Lawrence river, collided with another ship in thick fog ( no I didn't Google it) it also features in Clive Cusslers book "Night Probe"

What about the "Britannic' most people have never heard about that one either :mrgreen:

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Theres only two things that really interests me about the TITANIC the first was wot was going on in the 'guts of the ship' the stokehold, there was approximately 175 firemen firing the boilers on that ship 24/7.

Also the 'wireless traffic' via the morse code telegraph was very interesting as well.

The rest of the story is interesting to a lot of people the personal stories. :wink:
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I bet the "replica" (ie. modern cruise ship made to look like an Olympic Class ship from a publicity-monger) doesn't have a decent triple-expansion engine...
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
mr B
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by mr B »

close your eyes , just emagine the engine room 20 Napier Deltic's purring away :wink:

mr B
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

mr B wrote:close your eyes , just emagine the engine room 20 Napier Deltic's purring away :wink:

mr B
You'd go insane within 20 seconds!!. :shock:
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

I remember the Empress in the St Lawrence. I once nearly bought a pice of china from the ship, only because the vendor thought it must be from the Titanic, only because she'd never heard of the Empress. And the Lusitania. Torpedoed off the coast of Ireland with a load of refugees aboard.

Not one of the Titanic's engineers survived. They were still below when the ship broke up.
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

I read that one of the Titanic's firemen an Irishman was probably the luckiest person on board the sinking liner??. Apparently after the ship had hit the iceberg and started to slowly sink he made his way up from the stokehold and somehow got his hands on a bottle of brandy from somewhere which he drank!!.

Coming up on deck by now (well) drunk accidently fell off the side of the ship and into the water where he was dragged on board a lifeboat and promptly fell asleep!!. :wink:

The luck of the Irish... :lol:
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Adopting the style of Alice from The Vicar of Dibley . . .

Oh, I get it, you mean lucky in finding a free bottle of brandy.

:roll:
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

giner wrote:Adopting the style of Alice from The Vicar of Dibley . . .

Oh, I get it, you mean lucky in finding a free bottle of brandy.

:roll:
Of course giner, when he finally staggered out onto the promenade deck he probably said to himself-

"I know i wanted some ice in me brandy but this is ridiculous!!". :wink:
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

It is a good job the Irishman was dragged onto a lifeboat, because given the low sea temperature in the area (and, unlike the misty eyed sentimentalism of the film) he would not have survived more than an hour at most in the water due to hypothermia.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

This reminds me of a joke (NOT about the Titanic) that i heard on the COMEDIAN'S telly show from the early 1970s (i've got the x7 dvds box-set). :wink:

A ships performer a magician with his parrot are performing in front of a ships audience and the magician has a member of the audience with him on stage and is making personal items from the audience member disappear and then making them re-appear.

Just as this performance was in progress there was an almighty EXPLOSION!! and the ship starts to sink with many people scrambling into the lifeboats!!.

Sometime later the magician and his parrot find themselves both in a crowded lifeboat when the parrot turns to the performer and says-

"Squawk squawk!!. I give up wot have you done with the ship??. Squawk squawk!!. :wink:
mr B
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by mr B »

nice one micky, the guy on the radio (Wed 3rd) this morning read out from one of the daily papers - the police in china got a budgie handed in , they only found out were he lived because he started to talk and give his address !

mr B