Olympics 20:12

This forum is for all off-topic (ie. non-railway) discussion.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Re: Olympics 20:12

Post by Horsetan »

strang steel wrote:I don't understand why people feel the need to leave a thread just because others have a different opinion to theirs?

Whatever happened to tolerance and good manners? ...
The day is not long coming when things become like Belarus.
LNER Fan 60008
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by LNER Fan 60008 »

I don't understand why people feel the need to leave a thread just because others have a different opinion to theirs?

Whatever happened to tolerance and good manners? ...
In any discussion, one must be prepared for others posting views that may contrast their own. It seems this has been forgotten, going by what shows on the previous page. Doesn't matter who's posting what, everyone should be free to contrast and opine as they wish - as long as they can do so civilly and without resorting to personal slams.

Back onto the topic - as for my views on the Olympics... zzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzz
:mrgreen:

This was nice, though. As a clock enthusiast, I presume they let the strike train run "free" and let it lock back in place.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GJ2e-_QQf0
ooOOOo-oooo--o-o-----o-o-o-o---------o-o-o-o--------o-o
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Agreed. I think any of us who look around on various forums are aware that 'diversions' are the norm. And said diversions often ruffle the feathers of a few members. It has to be remembered that skin thickness varies between individuals, and some folks are more easily upset than others. As LNER Fan says, as long as it's kept decent there's no real cause for concern, in my view.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Personally I'm not a fan of the Olympics - but that's just me.

Mrs BB has watched a lot of 'em, starting with the equestrian and carrying on with the other sports. I've caught a biit of 'em in the Pub but have no real interest. All I can say is that at least there was a sport other than soccer on the telly in there....

If folks want to watch 'em, go ahead. It's a free country. If folks don't want to watch them, then avoid the BBC and pick your pub carefully. Like me! :mrgreen:

I'd never condemn anyone for liking the Olympics. Roll on the next Winter games, then I have a chance of watching some quality Ice Hockey and the Cresta Run. I'd love a go at that......
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

Well I didn't apply for any tickets for the Olympics and had no particular interest in watching.

However, as I said above, the opening ceremony had its impressive moments, and since then it has been virtually unavoidable watching some of the Games in my household.

This is where I have to eat some humble pie, and say that Team GB's performance has provided some inspiring and exciting moments with some truly impressive individual and team performances that do boost the national feel good factor or were, at the least, excellent "edge of the seat" entertainment.

If you take it at a superficial level, and forget all the contradictions in the status of athletes etc, and the cost, then at least it provides the nation with temporary relief from its woes.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

I am with you EarlMarischal, humble pie time.

In addition to the archery, I have also watched rowing and cycling especially once I discovered they all had their own dedicated channels (if you have the technology), and those competitions have been excellent.

The one thing (apart from the horrendous cost) that puts me off (and this seems to be true of all sports nowadays) is the media's 'need' to shove microphones and cameras into the faces of competitors as soon as they have completed a race and ask them inane questions such as "how do you feel?" or "what is going through your head right now?".

It appears to be almost a requirement to make the interviewee cry and then find their family and make them cry too. It may be just be me, but I find this to be in very bad taste. They are athletes, just leave them alone. They have trained for four years for this moment and we have seen their performance, isn't that enough? Let them go and have private moments with those who have supported them during those long hours of training and preparation.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

If you want to see bad Olympics coverage, then try NBC here in the US. As well as the bad interviews afterwards, then you have the pre-interviews (much of the coverage of the opening ceremony was skipped in favour of an interview with Phelps to keep the hype factor going). In the world of NBC, the Olympics only consist of one country - and even within that country, all the winners have cute little stories which can be packaged up as reality TV before the Final. Hard luck if you're one of the others! E.g. that first team Gold Phelps swam. Sure he set a new record in number of Golds, but his three team mates won the race - all he did was not mess up the huge lead he was given. So what about the kid next to him who's at his first Olympics and just won his first medal? Seems like his reaction is more interesting. I could go on, but this is becoming a rant...
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

No kidding, Richard. NBC shows absolutely nothing 'live', do they? It's all pre-edited, cut-to-fit footage shown in the evening, I believe. They didn't even have live coverage of the games' premier event, the Men's 100 metres and Usain Bolt's dash to glory. Shame on NBC. We get it up here, but there's no way in hell I'll tune into their channels.

Kudos to CTV up here in the Great White North for live coverage every day.
LNER Fan 60008
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by LNER Fan 60008 »

I myself am not a big fan of the Olympics, I'm just not into high-ranking athletics in general. As others have said, I don't have anything against those who do enjoy the Olympics. That's their thing and I am not going to intrude on that.

I have watched a few parts of it regardless, and I do agree with how lackluster NBC's coverage has been. It's just not very good no matter how you look at it.
ooOOOo-oooo--o-o-----o-o-o-o---------o-o-o-o--------o-o
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

The thing is, here in North America due to time zone differences, etc., the Olympics on TV begin anywhere from about 3 to 7 a.m. and then run for several hours after that. God forbid NBC should give up that crap diet of daytime programming that passes for entertainment. But, on the other hand, I suppose it's about giving the customer what they want, or what they're told they want.

So, whether actual or perceived, that's what American TV audiences are getting. You know, the U.S. is hardly short of great athletes who are giving their all for their country and picking up a schwack of medals. I thought Americans were always full of national pride. On this showing, it seems that the endless drivel served up on daytime TV really is more important to them.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

Yes, that is a disgusting attitude.

I watched a woman in the 1500m (I think), who pulled a muscle early in the race and I assumed she had just dropped out, but she kept on going and limped over the line in tears about a minute after everyone else.

When I think how footballers will writhe around on the floor clutching their legs when they have just felt the slightest touch from an opponent, it puts the idea of sport into focus compared with the 1500m woman who just wanted to say she had completed her race in the Olympic stadium.

If you have tried your very best, there is no embarrassment in coming last.

(And the footballers will continue to earn £50,000 a week or more.)
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

There was a report of one runner, possibly in the relay, finding out after the race that he had a broken leg.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Bryan wrote:There was a report of one runner, possibly in the relay, finding out after the race that he had a broken leg.
Yes - one of the Americans, Manteo Mitchell, strangely enough. He knew at the 200m mark in his part of the 4x400 that he'd broken the leg and kept going.

Manteo Mitchell breaks leg in 4x400
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

I imagine the doctors had a few choice words for him.