Olympics 20:12

This forum is for all off-topic (ie. non-railway) discussion.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

S.A.C. Martin

Re: Olympics 20:12

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I call that nothing short of heroic frankly. He thought more for his team mates when it mattered most.

I'm not saying it's not mental, but I am saying the sentiment behind it was incredible.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trestrol
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Trestrol »

Micky wrote:Back in the ''good old days'' of British Rail in the early 1970s i vaguely recall reading in RAIL NEWS (British Rails then own in house newspaper remember it??) British Rail having there own football team??. :wink:
Rail news still exists although getting a copy can be difficult as the firm has to pay a subscription for it. Can offten be picked up at N.R depots. Its a shadow of it's former self, do you remember the excelent loco and Rollong stock features in the middle with scale drawings?
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Courage mes braves! The Olympics is nearly over with the closing ceremony tonight!

Did I miss owt? Seem to have been asleep for most of it....

Anyway, Paralympics soon.....
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Sorry but I will miss the closing ceremony as I will be outside all night looking for shooting stars.
The Perseids are back.
Well that is in between working with a tamper and regulator on the NYMR.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

Bryan wrote:Sorry but I will miss the closing ceremony as I will be outside all night looking for shooting stars.
You may have to watch out for the lightning.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
third-rail
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by third-rail »

strang steel wrote:
Bryan wrote:Sorry but I will miss the closing ceremony as I will be outside all night looking for shooting stars.
You may have to watch out for the lightning.
sorry no lightning on the storm tracking web sites [as yet]
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

I will be out as well for the Persids, im going out of town to a car park away from light pollution, i hope i dont get mistaken for a dogger :oops:
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 60041 »

I have managed to miss almost all of the coverage of the Olympics, however last night I turned on the telly and caught a couple of minutes of taekwondo.
I was utterly baffled for a few seconds and then it dawned on me: this must be the arse kicking contest that one legged men are allegedly so bad at.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

They think it's all over.

It is now.
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

IMHO Closing Ceremony was DIRE! Few glimmers of quality entertainment but a totally disjointed affair that must at times have been bewildering to the world audience. Dragged on for too long and I actually felt sorry for the athletes who had to stand through it. For future events can we please stop bringing back the has-beens who can't sing/entertain any more like Ray Davis, Annie Lennox and The Who.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

Oh well, it is over now. The Brazilians can have the 4 year build up we had to put up with.

Except of course that the BBC will need to keep the euphoria going just long enough for them to rush out their 'highlights' dvd.

A snip at £24.99 no doubt.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mr B
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by mr B »

2002EarlMarischal wrote: For future events can we please stop bringing back the has-beens who can't sing/entertain any more like Ray Davis, Annie Lennox and The Who.
even an uncompleete 'grand finale', Rodger & Co left with guitar's intact :(

Mr B
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

LOL! Yeah, I was waiting to see the splinters fly. Oh well, age comes in different guises to us all.

Anyway, I'll be one of the few here and say that I enjoyed the whole Olympics thing, start to finish. After all the naysaying leading up to it, I think the whole thing went off superbly. Maybe living with it day to day in the UK puts one too close to the trees to see the forest, but the way this played out in the rest of the world did no harm to the UK at all.