For the Merlin enthusiasts....

This forum is for all off-topic (ie. non-railway) discussion.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Mickey

Re: For the Merlin enthusiasts....

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danby Wiske
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Danby Wiske »

Micky wrote:i'm more of a Tiger & Panther panzer guy with a mild interest in U-boats!
You'll be telling us next that you supported West Germany in 1966! :shock:
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Afternoon all
WHat about the Dornier Do335, the Messerschmidt Me163, The Focke-wulf Ta152, the Gotha/Horten Ho10, and many more unusual designs. Its a good job that these designs weren't able to be put into mass production.
Earlswood Nob
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Andy W
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Andy W »

I rather liked the tale that Raymond Baxter told on the BBC series "The Secret War" back in the 1970's. He was leading some Spitfires around France harrying the launch lorries when they spotted a V2 taking off right in front of them. His wing man sent off a burst but, rather fortunately for all concerned, missed.

My dad was in the Desert during WW2 in the infantry and anti tank. When at night they used to play bingo, if number 88 came up there was a collective shout of " 88 bail out"! The muzzle velocity of that weapon made a real mess of our tanks of the time and seeing the results put my dad off tanks for life. "You had no chance against that", he says to this day. I got close up to an 88 at the Weybourne tank museum a couple of years ago and it is still an impressive piece of kit. The Germans certainly built some devastating stuff.

Getting back to Merlins it is always a pleasure to drive along the road from Skeg towards Tattershall as something is coming into Coningsby. I once had PA 474 behind me as I was driving my old canvass top Land Rover and that was some experience.