THAT HORRIBLE SOUND CALLED MUSIC

This forum is for all off-topic (ie. non-railway) discussion.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: THAT HORRIBLE SOUND CALLED MUSIC

Post by earlswood nob »

G'day all
This chat is bringing back memories. I remember UCCA coming in when I was in the sixth form. Then I was lucky and got a firm to sponsor me doing a CNAA degree at Kingston CAT, later Kingston Poly, and now Kingston University. I visited the town, shopping for music last summer, and the University seems to have taken it over. The hall I boxed in when a member of the local boxing club has been swallowed up by the University. The hall a few miles away where I won a tournament the day of Winston Churchill's funeral is still there. I won both bouts in the first round, and my father wasn't happy after the first as he said that I should have finished it quicker. He was a hard man to please, but my grand-father was well happy. The pubs we drank in have either disappeared or changed beyond recognition (they finished my boxing career), but I suppose it was forty five years ago.
Earlswood Nob
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Hi earlswood,

Your mentioning Kingston, and this topic being headed about music, brought this to mind. Do you remember the Kingston Boathouse? That, and Coronation Hall, used to be the prime music venues in Kingston. I remember playing with Jerry Lee Lewis at the Boathouse somewhere around 1963. The place was jammed to the rafters (which were only about four feet above your head) on a hot and sweaty summer evening. What a blast!
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all
I remember the Rock 'n' roll by the river, I couldn't remember the name.
I saw Jerry Lee Lewis at Croydon Fairfield Halls just after I left school (1964). There were two Coronation Halls, the Coronation baths opposite the Law Courts, which are demolished, and another near Surbiton station which I think is a Wetherspoons pub.
I moved to Walton-on-Thames (and Kingston College) in 1965, so would have missed your gig with Jerry.
We'd sit in the pub early on Saturday evening and say "We are not going to the Assembly Rooms at Surbiton tonight", and where did we usually end up? The Assembly Rooms, it was dire, but often the only live entertainment available. A treat was a trip to the "Thomas A'Beckett" in the Old Kent Road, where they had some good bands.
Such happy times (life seemed simpler in those days)
Earlswood Nob
PS I live in Reigate now and there is a choice of live bands at the weekend. People don't realise how lucky they are now.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

earlswood nob wrote:I saw Jerry Lee Lewis at Croydon Fairfield Halls just after I left school (1964).

Or 'The Killer' as old Jerry Lee use to call himself. I have everything Jerry Lee Lewis has released i like 'The Killer'-

''Whole lotta shakin' going on'' :wink:
earlswood nob wrote:A treat was a trip to the "Thomas A'Beckett" in the Old Kent Road, where they had some good bands.
Just a stones throw from Brickayers Arms shed eh earlswood nob?.

Plenty of Battle of Britain 4-6-2s, L1 4-4-0s, Maunsell N class 2-6-0s, Maunsell S15 class 4-6-0s & School 4-4-0s and many more. :wink:
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning
Jerry Lee could rock up a storm. One of my favorite records (now CD) is " Jerry Lee Lewis Live at the Star Club" from 1964? That has got to be the greatest live recording ever.
There was also another called; "The Greatest Live show on Earth" which is nearly as good.
When in the first form and just starting Latin, we were told to translate a poem for homework. Several of us translated "Great balls of fire", which must have been top of the charts at the time. Needless to say the Latin master was not impressed.
Earlswood Nob
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

earlswood nob wrote:Good morning
Jerry Lee could rock up a storm. One of my favorite records (now CD) is " Jerry Lee Lewis Live at the Star Club" from 1964? That has got to be the greatest live recording ever.
There was also another called; "The Greatest Live show on Earth" which is nearly as good.
When in the first form and just starting Latin, we were told to translate a poem for homework. Several of us translated "Great balls of fire", which must have been top of the charts at the time. Needless to say the Latin master was not impressed.
Earlswood Nob
Yep i've got both live recordings on 2 separate cds and i agree the German gig from the Star Club from '64 ROCKS LIKE HELL!!!.

The second live recording is from Birmingham Alabama USA and is a bit more country orientated but is still a great listen all the same!!.

''I said come on over baby there's a whole lotta shakin' goin on!!''

Rock & Roll... :wink:
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Here's a clip from an old movie my band did in which Jerry made an appearance. Unfortunately, our shooting schedules were on different days, so I never did get to meet him again. Anyway, here's the link. I'm the keyboard player (on a Watkins Telstar combo organ, for those interested) at the far right.
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=r6SOEWXd ... 6SOEWXddFw
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

Those were the days.

Is there supposed to be sound with the clip?

I get silence.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Wow!!. ROCK & ROLL!!. Nice one giner. :wink:

A long with Jerry Lee Lewis aka 'The Killer' i like-

1.Little Richard
2.(early) Elvis Presley 'The KING'
3.Chuck Berry
4.Gene Vincent
5.Buddy Holly
6.The BIG BOPPER J.P.Richardson
7.Johnny Kidd
8.(early) Cliff Richard & the Shadows
9.Eddie Cochran
10.Duane Eddy
11.Screaming Lord Sutch
12.Billy Fury

ROCK & ROLL!!!... :wink:
Last edited by Mickey on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

strang steel wrote:Those were the days.

Is there supposed to be sound with the clip?

I get silence.
Yep, should be full sound on there, SS. Micky, you listed all my old faves as well. :D

I've got a tale to tell of Dave Sutch, as well. Not sure it should go on a public forum, though. :twisted:
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

giner wrote:I've got a tale to tell of Dave Sutch, as well. Not sure it should go on a public forum, though. :twisted:
I like Lord Sutch he made some entertaining & amusing early 1960s shock/horror rock & roll records a good 10 years before American Alice Cooper made a living out of doing the samething for the rest of his 40 years music career!. Also Lord Sutch had some great rock & roll/rock musician's pass through his band as well most notably guitarist Ritchie Blackmore who went on to fame & fortune with Deep Purple in the 1970s.

Shame Dave Sutch eventually took his own life in the end.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all
Screaming Lord Sutch played locally in c1965. When in late 70's/early 80's, me and a pal were putting on R 'n 'R gigs we booked Freddie Fingers Lee and he remembered playing at Redhill with David Sutch. He had some great stories about touring with Sutch.
He became a regular (for a Geordie from Consett, living in Luton, coming to Surrey, at a discount, was something) and he could rock up a storm as well.
Earlswood Nob
Mickey
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by Mickey »

Forever associated with me with the 'end of an era' feel of the railway out of Kings Cross in the autumn/winter of 1974 is the Bachman-Turner Overdrive song You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet which was on the radio at the time and especially the songs instrumental part which captures a certain mood that I recall feeling at the time and looking at the final days of the old GN before the last of the remaining boxes closed along with the old familiar names like Holloway North Down, Finsbury Park 5 & 6 and Hornsey Up Goods and a dozen others along with the encroaching overhead masts & wires that put an end to my interest in the old GN for the following 30+ years.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
rockinjohn
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by rockinjohn »

Hi Mickey and others how did we get to the "real" King of R&R on these pages,Sept '57 "Six five special" coming down the line featured Jerry in the film "Disc Jockey Jamboree" @ 5.35pm on a Sat. me 10yrs old borrowed/begged didnt steal the 4s/8d? and ran from the grove as fast as I could to arrive @Star Records @5.58pm cnr of Holloway/Liverpool Rds, they let me in, 6pm close, only to be told sorry only have the 78rpm in stock, the crest fallen look on this boy's face after the physical effort to arrive on their doorstep must have showed,the owner proceed to give me her own copy of that treasured london triangle centre 45rpm from her large handbag!it got played a lot but didn't sound the same great though it was, irrespective what was printed on that record label "from the film"after many years I found out the film studio cut was on the film album &only released on 45/78RPM in South Africa,told you bruv it was different I gained it many years later on a CD,not many months after a whistling on "the Creep"produced D201,and to say Jerry lee lewis &"Great Balls of Fire" whatever cut changed my life, would be an understatement.P.S. they did the same with Smiley Lewis on "Shame Shame Shame" from the film "Baby Doll"
Mickey
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by Mickey »

Yeah rockinjohn I wrote some stuff on Screaming Lord Sutch and the rock & roll era of the late 1950s & early 1960s on this thread before several years ago but deleted. Joe Meek had his studio just a 3 minutes walk along Holloway road from the LNER main line at Holloway North Down & North Up boxes.

I have a lot of cds on British rockers like Lord Sutch & the Savages along with Johnny Kidd & the Pirates and Billy Fury and Cliff Richard's first two rock & roll albums. As for the yanks it's Gene Vincent who came over here in the early 1960s with Eddie Cochran who was tragically killed over here in a car crash and Jerry Lee Lewis, Buddy Holly & Little Richard as well. Funny enough that late 1950s & early 1960s rock & roll goes well as a soundtrack to B.R. steam of that era.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.