THAT HORRIBLE SOUND CALLED MUSIC

This forum is for all off-topic (ie. non-railway) discussion.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Boris
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

THAT HORRIBLE SOUND CALLED MUSIC

Post by Boris »

How many of us on here get really peed off when programmes like last nights, about railways had that horrible plinky plonk sound supposed to be backgroung music, louder than the guys trying to commentate and really spoiling the programmes.

Am I the only one that really hates it
EX DARNALL 39B FIREMAN 1947-55
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: THAT HORRIBLE SOUND CALLED MUSIC

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

No, your not alone, over here they put it on during the radio news, and with a bit of the ever present static, very hard to understand. :evil:

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

From the thread title, I thought this was going to be about Christopher Plummer's opinion of one of his most famous film roles...
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Boris

Post by Boris »

No it was the programe on 19/3 which was mostly drowned by what you couldn't even call music, so loud I had difficulty in hearing the comentry

This has been going on for years.
I can't understand why we need music when the sound of a loco working hard is music to out ears.

Most programmes do it now why I have no idea.

The Micheal Portillo programe is as bad.

Would they put music on over formula one racing, horse racing, athletics, I think not.

Most plays now have the same for so called effect, left over from the days of silent films when the piano player used it for that reasom
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

Yes, I agree with everything you say, Boris.

I assume that it is part of the dumbing down process, in that the audience is deemed so dense that they need different music in order to know which emotion they should be prepared to feel.

Either that, or the programme directors are after as many awards as possible and the music is just another category.

One haven of music-less drama over the weekend was Sunday's version of The Lady Vanishes. I wondered if the foreign locomotive scenes were filmed on the Nene Valley, but the credits rolled by too quickly for me to see.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
Andy W

Post by Andy W »

I enjoyed The Lady Vanishes too. It was filmed in Hungary.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

How did it compare with the Hitchcock/Redgrave original?
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Boris

Post by Boris »

Rubbish, I changed channells after about 20 minutes
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Surely it can't have been worse than the Jodie Foster version? (set on a plane, I forget the title now, but clearly a rip-off of the concept)
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Andy W

Post by Andy W »

No, it wasn't that bad at all.

The first few minutes dragged a bit as they set the scene and tried to convey the pressure the lead female character (who wasn't particularly likeable as a result) was under. It was different from the Hitchcock version in several respects as to what happened on the train and I think they conciously tried to avoid using the Hitchcock "devices" that he introduced into the story.

I liked that main line station they used. Where exactly is it or was it all a CGI creation?
Coboman
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Coboman »

If you see the type of people taking media studies at uni (used to be solely polytechnics before Blair renamed them), it explains alot of things. No proper university worth its salt would teach such dross. Unfortunately these people will never understand that what appeals to thickies and their thicky programs that litter telly nowadays does not appeal to the more intelligent section of the populace.
Its good to know where you stand. Saves making a fool of yourself later......
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Actually it was Thatcher who reformed the Polytechnics, and the changes came in under Major. Blair had nothing to do with it.
Anglia Polytechnic was already a University with increasing smaller typefaces for the 'Polytechnic' back in around 1992/3. I remember a lot of fun being made of it - but at the time I was a u/g at the 'proper' university in the same town...

UCCA and PCAS were still separate in those days, but it didn't take a 6th Former bored of filling out forms to realise that it would make sense to merge them.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

richard wrote:Actually it was Thatcher who reformed the Polytechnics, and the changes came in under Major. Blair had nothing to do with it.
Anglia Polytechnic was already a University with increasing smaller typefaces for the 'Polytechnic' back in around 1992/3. I remember a lot of fun being made of it - but at the time I was a u/g at the 'proper' university in the same town...

UCCA and PCAS were still separate in those days, but it didn't take a 6th Former bored of filling out forms to realise that it would make sense to merge them.
If I'm not mistaken, Anglia Polytechnic used to be the Cambridgeshire College of Arts and Technology back when I attended a day-release programme there for compositors' work back in the early sixties.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

It may well have been - that's long before my time! "Anglia Polytechnic University" was the name on the sign when I was living in Cambridge. My point is the reforms happened then - during the early 1990s.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Mr Bunt
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Mr Bunt »

richard wrote:It may well have been - that's long before my time! "Anglia Polytechnic University" was the name on the sign when I was living in Cambridge. My point is the reforms happened then - during the early 1990s.
1992 to be exact Richard, after the Privy Council turned down Hatfield Polytechnic's application for a Royal Charter in the name of "The University of Hertfordshire" because "wider reforms within the tertiary education sector are currently under consideration".

Hatfield - a university in waiting if ever there was one - lost, CCAT won (and Hatfield treated "Meeja Studies" with the same contempt that's being shown here too!).