UK heatwave, Hints and tips

This forum is for all off-topic (ie. non-railway) discussion.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

UK heatwave, Hints and tips

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I've heard that your having a warm spell (by our standards) here's a few hints and tips to make life more comfortable.

1. Leave your curtains pulled all day, open them at night, the same with windows, remember your trying to keep the heat out.

2.Drink little and often.

3. Stay in doors during the hottest part of the day.

4. Use a fan if you have one.

5.Keep children out of the sun, they can BURN in 20 minutes

6. Use a good sunscreen.

7. Wear a hat.

8.Wear sunglasses

9. Slow down, don't rush, this will help you keep cool.

10. Do NOT leave Children or pets in the car, the temperature can reach 70c in 15minutes, that can KILL in another 10mins

11.If it is to hot at home, go and sit in a large shopping center, they are usually air conditioned, and it's FREE.

manna, in Booborowie, Where last summer it hit 48c, and part of Edgware station MELTED :lol:
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
60129 GUY MANNERING
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: UK heatwave, Hints and tips

Post by 60129 GUY MANNERING »

Manna, many thanks for your tips, but surely you have missed one!

12. Stay away from Trent Bridge. The excitement of us Whitewashing the Oz side at Cricket can lead to Heat Exaustion or Drinking to many "Fosters" and getting dehydrated.

Regards,Del. :D :D
Danby Wiske
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Danby Wiske »

manna wrote:7. Wear a hat.
With corks, presumably?
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

The corks are optional, but if you have a lot of flies, or drink wine excessively. (I have worn a hat with corks, they do work)

I'll keep away from all, cricket grounds, rather hang around stations :lol:

manna
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Cold tea.
Last edited by Mickey on Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ocean Swell
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Ocean Swell »

While I'm sure a UK heat wave is this last thing to worry about at this time of year we have our own in Adelaide at the moment. It was 42C on Monday 45C yesterday, 45C forecast for today (currently 34C at 8:30 am), 46C tomorrow(if we go over 46.1 it will be Adelaide's hottest day on record) and 40 on Friday. You can usually add a couple of degrees to all of those where Manna lives North of Adelaide. We also have several bushfires going at the moment which is bad, but fortunately the wind is slight so the Country Fire Service has a fair chance of getting them under control.
I hope its not too cold where most of the forum members are because it's certainly uncomfortably hot here.
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Well, here in Edmonton, Alberta we're experiencing a winter heat wave at the moment - that's temps around the +1 or +2 mark, and the forecast says even up to +7 by the weekend. Maybe it'll make a bit of a dent in the all the snow we've received so far. But, being where we are and on past form, there'll be plenty of -20 and downwards to come.

We're visiting Perth, Western Australia next October/November. Hope it's not going to be brutally hot when we're there.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

Sorry to be so pedantic, but why this weather comparison between Australia (15 - 40 deg South) with the UK (50 - 60 deg North)?

The Sahara would be a more precise area to judge temperatures by, and 40-45 deg C does not seem unusual for desert areas in the middle of summer.

In order to have a fair comparison, one would have to spend a year a few hundred miles north of the Antarctic coast on a ship, because there is virtually no land mass at those latitudes in the southern hemisphere. Tasmania is equivalent to northern Spain, and even the most southern tip of New Zealand would only manage to reach the Bay of Biscay on the northern half of the planet.

Give me a 52 North (or South) climate any day.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Where's the UK heatwave?

Or did I sleep in and miss it???? :lol: :lol: :lol:
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

You need to look at the date of the first post BB. It was last July.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
Ocean Swell
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Ocean Swell »

Sorry for causing confusion by resurrecting an old weather thread rather than starting a new one.
I was just letting people who may be interested know about the record heat conditions here at the moment. There is obviously no point in comparing the weather/climate between the UK and Australia for the geographical reasons sited by strang steel. If I was going to indulge in comparisons I would stick to the cricket :D

Anyway giner you should be OK in Perth in Oct/Nov Perth is fairly similar to Adelaide weather wise and March-April and Oct are the best months if you are unlucky you may get some hot days in late Nov.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

Ocean Swell wrote:Sorry for causing confusion by resurrecting an old weather thread rather than starting a new one.
I was just letting people who may be interested know about the record heat conditions here at the moment. There is obviously no point in comparing the weather/climate between the UK and Australia for the geographical reasons sited by strang steel. If I was going to indulge in comparisons I would stick to the cricket :D

Please, no more torture. ;)

All credit to the Australia team, they played to their strengths, gave it 100% commitment, and got what they deserved.

Well done to them.

However, where the England team goes after their dismal performances is anyone's guess. :(

I am struggling for a way to get back to a railway topic for this thread, but with temperatures of 46C forecast in parts of Oz this week, how do the railways down under cope with the affects on the track? Do they impose severe speed limits because of the fear of derailments?

A temperature of 30C here seems to bring enough problems for Network Rail; I cannot imagine a 50% increase on those temperatures.
Ocean Swell
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Ocean Swell »

In regard to the cricket at least England have a couple of very good, new young players to build a future team around. The Australian team while playing well atm is getting old and will need to be rebuilt (again) in a couple of years, the 2015 series in England may well see the boot on the other foot.
As point of interest, I actually played two games of cricket on the same team as Darren Lehmann when I was at school (he was captain, I was 12th man).

As for train services in heatwaves, the interstate freight and passenger trains are largely unaffected as they are built to handle desert conditions. The suburban railcar and tram services run at reduced frequency and lower speeds, I think the same thing happens in Melbourne but I'm not sure what they do in Perth.

In the 2009 heatwave the rails on one of the local preserved lines buckled in the heat and the damage was so extensive that they were forced to close and their stock has now been sold. The Gawler line also buckled several years ago in the heat. The Ash Wednesday bushfires of the early 80s did so much damage to the Clare Valley line that it was closed and is now a bike trail (through a very nice wine region).
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Sitting at home with the Air Cond going, lovely and cool at the moment, they tell me (on the TV) that it was 30c at 6am, I slept in my camper trailer again last night in the back yard, 46c can be as dangerous to one health as minus 20c, anyway back to the J1. :D

manna