Another "cop" James B

This forum is for all off-topic (ie. non-railway) discussion.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Mickey

Re: Another "cop" James B

Post by Mickey »

Looks like an Ivatt 2-6-2 tank outside the shed far left.

Total number built 130 between 1946-1952 with the first 10 locos being built by the LMS the rest being built under British Railways with most of the class allocated to the London Midland Region although the last 30 locos built went to the Southern Region with a few (3 locos) going to the Western Region and allocated to Bristol Bath Road.

All the class were withdrawn between 1962-1967 with the last 8 of the class going in 1967.

Mickey
james b
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by james b »

This photo came from the "Shipley F/B page ...Approaching Shipley.. from Leeds ..
I remember these trains running , when as I took up Train-spotting .. they were taken over by A diesel multiple units...later
As I enjoyed sitting in the front compartment , and catching all the locos ,as we passed them ...in stead of getting soot in your eyes ...
Seeing this photo ,just reminded me of those first days , of going off to Leeds City station .. an staying all day ....
Attachments
passenger train , at shipley.jpg
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

A little bit difficult to tell if it's a Stanier or Fairburn 2-6-4T cos they were virtually identicle designs and the number isn't clear enough to give an answer but after looking at said photograph for a while i'll go for a Stanier loco.

Mickey
kudu
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by kudu »

Mickey wrote:A little bit difficult to tell if it's a Stanier or Fairburn 2-6-4T cos they were virtually identicle designs and the number isn't clear enough to give an answer but after looking at said photograph for a while i'll go for a Stanier loco.

Mickey
I have to disagree with you there, Mickey - it's easy to tell them apart! And you're right, it is a Stanier. The Fairburns had a shorter wheelbase, which you can't distinguish in this photo, but they also had a gap in the running plate in front of the cylinder - remember? As the loco pictured clearly doesn't, it can only be a Stanier. As the second digit doesn't look like 5 or 6, its number must be in the 2425-2494 range.

Kudu
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

kudu wrote:
Mickey wrote:A little bit difficult to tell if it's a Stanier or Fairburn 2-6-4T cos they were virtually identicle designs and the number isn't clear enough to give an answer but after looking at said photograph for a while i'll go for a Stanier loco.
I have to disagree with you there, Mickey - it's easy to tell them apart! And you're right, it is a Stanier. The Fairburns had a shorter wheelbase, which you can't distinguish in this photo, but they also had a gap in the running plate in front of the cylinder - remember? As the loco pictured clearly doesn't, it can only be a Stanier. As the second digit doesn't look like 5 or 6, its number must be in the 2425-2494 range.
Personally I still find those 2-6-4T locos both by Stanier & Fairburn a bit hard to distinguish apart from each other mainly cos they're obviously very similar looking to one another and i've only recently took an interest in ex-LMS locos but thanks for the tip on how to tell them both apart kudu.

Mickey
james b
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by james b »

Entering Ben Rhydding Station. either from Shipley or Guiseley.....
We live at Ilkley , and very close to this station .....I have hit the buffers in finding where this loco had its shed .... I just can not make out the shed plate ...
It must be during the 50,s ... any help will do
Ilkley did have a small shed ,
Attachments
heading for ilkley.jpg
Danby Wiske
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Danby Wiske »

According to http://www.brdatabase.info it was a Manningham loco from 1952 until 1959...
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

james b wrote:Entering Ben Rhydding Station. either from Shipley or Guiseley.....
We live at Ilkley , and very close to this station .....I have hit the buffers in finding where this loco had its shed .... I just can not make out the shed plate ...
It must be during the 50,s ... any help will do
Ilkley did have a small shed ,
A Stanier class 3P 2-6-2T. A total of 139 enetered service with the LMS between 1935-1938 and were mainly to be found on local/suburban passenger services, ECS workings, banking duties & branch passenger services. The first of the class was withdrawn from the London Midland Region in November 1959 and the last was withdrawn in September 1962.

Mickey
james b
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by james b »

https://www.flickr.com/photos/52842820@ ... otostream/

never done a link before .....the last train leaving Bradford for Leeds ..
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

james b wrote:https://www.flickr.com/photos/52842820@ ... otostream/

never done a link before .....the last train leaving Bradford for Leeds ..
Still can't access the above link after using two separate PCs James.

Mickey
james b
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by james b »

hi Mickey .. I just tried a screen print .....
Attachments
bradford (2).jpg
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Thanks James.

Fairburn 2-6-4 tank no.42152 working the last steam hauled Bradford to Leeds portion of a Leeds-Kings Cross service circa Sept/Oct 1967.

Mickey
james b
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by james b »

Low Moor Bradford
Attachments
low moor MPD Bradford (Copy).jpg
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Is that a ex-L&Y 'Hughes Crab' to the left of the photograph 'in steam' but minus it's tender??.

That yard lamp post maybe obscuring the tender due to the angle of the photograph?.

Looks like a ex-LNER Thompson B1 in amongst the mass of ex-LMS designs.

Mickey
Postman Prat
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Postman Prat »

It sure looks like an LMS Crab. The railheads behind the loco appear to be too close to the loco to have a tender there.
PP
The light at the end of the tunnel is probably a train coming towards you!!