The Kellogg's train

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Mickey

Re: The Kellogg's train

Post by Mickey »

The Kellogg's train is seen sitting in the Down sidings at Marshmoor in January 1972. Marshmoor box can just be seen in the distance and was closed later that same year in November of 1972.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?view= ... AAAAAAB2f4
Dave Cockle
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Dave Cockle »

Yes Stevie, thanks for such a comprehensive account of 4M44 and the signalling arrangements of the North London Incline. I've just dipped into a 1972 train register book from my old signal box Wood Green No 4. 4M44 was a regular and punctual runner. It was booked Up Slow to Up Goods at Wood Green so, I believe, as to be routed over the Harringay Viaduct. I have a distinct memory of one night, when on duty at Wood Green No 4, of doing a loco change on 4M44 in the Up Slow Platform at Wood Green. A very unusual move but it was done at Controls request to facilitate loco workings.
joewebb
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by joewebb »

I dont think Hitchin locomen ever went to Willesden.
Last edited by joewebb on Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Thanks for that Dave Cockle; interesting.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Dave Cockle wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:38 am Yes Stevie, thanks for such a comprehensive account of 4M44 and the signalling arrangements of the North London Incline. I've just dipped into a 1972 train register book from my old signal box Wood Green No 4. 4M44 was a regular and punctual runner. It was booked Up Slow to Up Goods at Wood Green so, I believe, as to be routed over the Harringay Viaduct. I have a distinct memory of one night, when on duty at Wood Green No 4, of doing a loco change on 4M44 in the Up Slow Platform at Wood Green. A very unusual move but it was done at Controls request to facilitate loco workings.
So 4M44 may have occasionally travelled over the 'Harringay flyover' in the reverse direction after all when coming Up road from Marshmoor to Willesden instead of travelling via Finsbury Park No.1 and running round the train between Western & Eastern Junctions on the North London line before heading to Willesden via Camden Road and the other way of doing it was when 4M44 came Up road from Wood Green Up Box No.4 it was routed via the Up goods line passed Hornsey Up Goods (box) as far as Harringay Up Goods (box) where it would stop and would then travel back over the 'Harringay flyover' to Ferme Park North Down (box) and stop before travelling forward from Ferme Park North Down via the 'Harringay curve' onto the Tottenham & Hampsead line. I presume that they must have attached another loco onto the rear of the train at Harringay Up Goods to work the train over the Harringay flyover to Ferme Park North Down?.

So 4M44 may not have been a Hitchin job then?.
mickfrancis
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by mickfrancis »

I was a fireman and driver at Hitchin, and we never went to Willesden. Hatfield men did though.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

By the late 1960s & early 1970s it seems a bit of a mystery which train crews use to actually work the Kellogg's train if both Kings Cross and Hitchin train crews both didn't?.
sandwhich
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by sandwhich »

Up until 1971 Hatfield crews worked the Kellogg,s trains, this depot then closed and the workings were transferred to Kings Cross Depot.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

The old Hatfield loco shed closed in January 1961 so did Hatfield become a 'signing on point' only for a few train crews between 1961-1971?.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Entering Belle Isle and looking north from a train travelling along the Down Main No.1 line emerging from Gasworks tunnel and showing the rear end of a x2 car Cravens unit heading along the Down slow line and featuring the tall north London line bridge in the far distance that carried the London Midland Region Broad Street-Richmond line service as well as many cross London freight trains. In the centre of the picture can been seen the tall Goods And Mineral Junction s/box (1876-1975) and to the left of the picture is featured what looks like the Kellogg's vans behind a Birmingham Sulzer (class 25) emerging from Kings Cross Goods yard. A date for the photograph maybe late 1974 or during 1975 as several of the miniature signal arms on the right-hand bracket signal post and one full size arm from the left-hand bracket signal post have already been removed in preparation for the closure of Goods And Mineral Junction in October 1975 and the re-modelling of the track layout which from vague memory is what happened a number of months towards the end before the box was finally closed.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... %2f%2fc2.s
sandwhich
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by sandwhich »

That is correct Mickey about Hatfield, with the coming of dieselisation it ceased to be a depot (34C) in 1961 and with a much reduced train crew it did become a signing on point until 1971 when the remaining train
crews were divided between Kings Cross and Hitchin probably where the confusion comes into play as to the possibility of Hitchin crews undertaking the Kellogg s train working but after 1971 it was definitely Kings Cross crews that worked these trains.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

My apologies for confusing everybody about who working the 'Kelloggs' train, I can remember working a train to Welwyn G C and passing Marshmoor, with the Kelloggs train all ready to leave, I said to the driver I was with, "That's one job I haven't done yet" He said 'You won't, it's a Hitchin job' and I never did. :?

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.