BR/LMS Power Classification

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Pyewipe Junction
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

BR/LMS Power Classification

Post by Pyewipe Junction »

Hello everyone: as you can see from my 'nom de chemin de fer' I was born and bred in Lincoln and spent many happy hours spotting at Pyewipe Junction between 1958 and 1965. If anyone has a question about Lincoln during those years perhaps I can answer it. I now live in Canberra. I am a Great Central man to my bootstraps and so will be going through the archive of posts with great interest to see what GC material there is.

My question relates to the ex-LMS power classification that BR used for steam locomotives (5MT etc). Hugh Longworth's excellent book lists the A2/1s, 2s and 3s as 7MT and the K1s and K3s as 6MT. Surely these are wrong and should be 8P7F and 5P6F respectively?

Can anyone explain the mysteries of the power classifcation - I've always understood it didn't rely on TE alone and took other things into consideration, such as boiler capacity and firebox size.

Cheers, Alan.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Welcome to the LNER forums Alan!

When I saw you join up (I'm the chap who 'approved' your membership :-) ) I did a search on Pyewipe. It looks like there were two on the LNER system - the other one was on the Grimsby - Immingham tram - built by the GCR to take workers to their Immingham docks.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia