Steam DVDs

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Pyewipe Junction
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Steam DVDs

Post by Pyewipe Junction »

Can anyone recommend well-produced DVDs (or videos if they are still around) that feature BR steam? Naturally, I'd prefer ones with a lot of ex LNER content, but I'm realistic enough to recognise that the amount of pre-1968 cine film must be limited.

I have a couple, but find the commentary and sequencing quite amateurish. Also, they have quite a bit of filler from heritage railways.

Or am I being too picky?
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by 52A »

http://www.britishtransportfilms.co.uk/

Have you had a look at this selection, some good films here.
talltim
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by talltim »

My experiance of the Marden Rail 'Sheffield to Nottingham' film was that it was pretty good. Early to mid BR period, filmed in (dated looking) colour with a handheld cine camera the quality is not top notch, however it perfectly viewable and obviously shows stuff that has long gone. The voiceover voice is OK although the obsession with loco numbers is a little annoying.
From the one film I recommend the series, I don;t know what other peopl think.

Tim
karlrestall
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by karlrestall »

Try 'The Heyday of British Steam', this goes through all the different regions but there are plenty of ex LNER locos throughout.

Regards

Karl
NYMR Guard
50A
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 50A »

Hi.
There are lots of DVDs around with LNER content, mostly filmed in the mid 1960's. The Marsden Rail series are of a consistent standard and cover the Yorkshire/Midlands area quite well.

I don't know if this applies to all the Marsden Rail dvds, however no 28, harrogate and District - the commentary in on 1 speaker and the train sounds on the other. If you change the balalnce, you can eliminate the commentary.

If you are more specific in the area you want to see many of these are covered, I have East Yorkshire Steam filmed by Frank Dean wich is very good and covers the old East Riding.

Is there any area you are interested in?

Andy
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Does Harrogate & District include Wetherby and the line to Crossgates?
(I have at least one book that classes this line as "Harrogate")

I've avoided the DVDs due to regional coding problems, but I'd be interested in that one enough that I'd put up with watching it on my PC :-)

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
50A
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 50A »

Hi Richard.

I'm afraid not.
It covers the line from Leeds Central through Harrogate and Ripon to Northallerton. Included is the junction for the branch to Pateley Bridge, the Masham branch, the line through Knaresborough to Boroughbridge.

Andy
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

Andy,

One of my most prized Videos is a British Railways Board Archive Film called "This is York" which is an excellent professional job made in about 1952, published by NTV. There are lots of shots of trains arriving and leaving York, conversations with staff on the job and so on.

On the same tape is "Wash and Brush Up" which covers the maintenance and wash out of the boiler of a Standard Class 5, with additional animations to explain the technicalities. I don't think that many modellers are aware of what went on in engine sheds in the days of steam. The final film is called, somewhat enigmatically, "The third Sam" which is a driver training film for the Manchester - Crewe electrification.

I am not sure that this video tape is published by NTV any more, but I have seen these films offered by others.

Colombo
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by 52A »

Colombo wrote:Andy,

One of my most prized Videos is a British Railways Board Archive Film called "This is York" which is an excellent professional job made in about 1952, published by NTV. There are lots of shots of trains arriving and leaving York, conversations with staff on the job and so on.

On the same tape is "Wash and Brush Up" which covers the maintenance and wash out of the boiler of a Standard Class 5, with additional animations to explain the technicalities. I don't think that many modellers are aware of what went on in engine sheds in the days of steam. The final film is called, somewhat enigmatically, "The third Sam" which is a driver training film for the Manchester - Crewe electrification.

I am not sure that this video tape is published by NTV any more, but I have seen these films offered by others.

Colombo

They are both available from BTF, see my post above.
Pyewipe Junction
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Pyewipe Junction »

Thanks for all the helpful replies to this post.

Can anyone tell me where I can get the Marsden Rail series?

I can't find them on amazon or through Google.
50A
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 50A »

It is just one of many, however you can get Marsden Rail DVDs at D&E Videos, they appear at many of the local shows. Their website is at
www.devideo.co.uk

Alternatively you could order direct at
www.cinerail.com

Andy.

I have no association with the above except as a satisfied customer.
John B
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by John B »

I have just tried to order the new DVD "Yorkshire Byways" Marsden Rail DVD no. 31 from Cinerail, it was advertised in July's Heritage Railway.

I was told they are sold out and won't have any available until November 2006. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
John B