Deltic and other diesel mania

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

John B
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by John B »

Trawling through some loco spotting books I have came across the Deltic locos of the ECML - it seems I spotted seventeen of them, mainly at Kings X I believe there were 22 produced.

I hated the smell of the Deltic's but admired the very throaty sound their motors produced and they looked good in their two tone green - but they never could replace the old steamers in my mind, I collected the names more out of habit than desire.

I spent some time working down south and had the opportunity to spot the last steamers at Waterloo as well as 57 named "Western" and 17 named "Warship" Diesel Hydraulics (I travelled via Paddington every day)

I also spotted five named Brush type 4's and a named EE type 4 "Falcon"
John B
Pyewipe Junction
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Pyewipe Junction »

I think most people will agree that the Deltics were worthy successors to the Pacifics - even though they were diesels!

At least they maintained the appropriate distinctiveness necessary for hauling ECML expresses.
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

I specially liked the Churchillian "V" shaped exhaust plume from the Deltics, which complemented their filling-loosening sound effects perfectly.

I had my set of Deltics, mostly collected at Newcastle Central in the early 1970s, but finally spotted the ever-elusive 9009 "Alycidon" at Finsbury Park to complete the 22.
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
John B
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by John B »

Yes Bullhead,

The Deltics were indeed very throaty and I thought the idea of their engines pistons working in opposition in the same cylinder, in a bank and in a triangular formation, was just so far ahead of it's time. (I had no idea at that time that the principle idea for the engine was adopted from a marine engine source)

"Alycidon" proved too elusive for me alas, perhaps I may still see her one day as she is preserved by the DPS on the NYMR.

The DPS's three other Deltics "Tulyar", "Royal Highland Fusilier" and the NRM's "Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry", I have previously seen in action. The only other preserved Deltic I have not seen working in BR days is the "Royal Scots Grey".

"Gordon Highlander", also now preserved, was also originally spotted way back.

It seems kind of strange, call it "deja vu" or history repaeting itself if you like, when you think how these locomotives had an even shorter life than the A3's and A4's they replaced and were then usurped in their turn by HST's.

Such is the life and cycle of railway motive power.
John B
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

But the HSTs are heading for a life at least as long as the A3.
A classic design like the Deltics and Gresley Pacifics, but they've also been sold to the Aussies (with modified bodies)

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Muzza
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Muzza »

I would rather they had sold us some Gresley Pacifics, than the HST clones.
Colombo

Post by Colombo »

Muzza, you should have asked at the time. I am quite sure that you could also have had a few hundred perfectly good Standards if you had asked.

Colombo
Bullhead

Post by Bullhead »

I seem to recall that Bachmann announced plans to produce a DCC sound-equipped Deltic. I'll probably buy one, if only for curiosity value, but can't help thinking that unless speaker miniaturisation has achieved semi-miraculous results the effect may be a bit disappointing if you remember the real thing. Can a speaker the size of, say, a twopenny piece really produce window-rattling bass?
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Nothing "semi" about it! Ya cannot break the laws of physics!

In the past year or so, I've 'seen' sound units in both US N and On3 - and both sounded tinny and toy-like. The On3 engine was a Shay. Not exactly a deep throated and powerful locomotive but the model had no chance of sounding like the real thing. Shame, the models looked great (also Bachmann).

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Colombo

Post by Colombo »

Bullhead,

Regarding the lack of bass response that you get from tiny speakers, I am afraid that I have to agree that the chuff you get is rather like a weak treble singing a bass part. You can do it Gauge 1, have you watched the KM1 Dynamic Smoke Video clip yet?

http://www.km-1.de/32119.html

That machine will set you back 3,100 Euros.

Many years ago, I put a speaker in the tender of a Hornby B12 and another in a 2P. I simply distributed an analogue sound signal through the tracks and separated it from the DC at the loco with capacitors and a choke. I used a white noise generator and a variable speed oscillating circuit to make a sound envelope into which I injected the the white noise signal. The envelope opened quickly and closed slowly to give a sharp chuff gradually trailing off. The only synchronisation I had was through a ganged pair of variable potentiometers, one of which was part of my home made transistorised loco controller.

I had a whistle circuit with a variable tone as well and I could have a the safety valves and/or the cylinder drain cocks open.

The fact is that my system sounded just as good as the modern digital ones, although their synchronisation is much better, but I am very disappointed that it just does not seem to be possible to get anything like a decent bass from a tiny speaker. I don't think its possible. You need a large sound chamber behind the diaphragm of the speaker. The larger the better.

One day, my sound system packed up and could not be bothered to repair it. However I had previously fed my synthetic steam sounds into a 6" speaker and I have to say that they were very impressive.

Perhaps the way forward is to have several fixed speakers round the layout and a system that detects the presence of the loco and emits the right noises from the right speaker as it moves round the layout. You could also detect the various parts of a long train and their particular sound could follow the engine, ending with the cluncking of the wheels of the guards van as it recedes into the distance.

I would like to have a Deltic with a real deep throb though.

Colombo
Bullhead

Post by Bullhead »

Colombo wrote:I simply distributed an analogue sound signal through the tracks and separated it from the DC at the loco with capacitors and a choke. I used a white noise generator and a variable speed oscillating circuit to make a sound envelope into which I injected the the white noise signal. The envelope opened quickly and closed slowly to give a sharp chuff gradually trailing off. The only synchronisation I had was through a ganged pair of variable potentiometers, one of which was part of my home made transistorised loco controller.
You were so engrossed in your task that you didn't notice the photographer, then?

I presume the saxophone is to synthesise the sound of the Westinghouse pump. :wink:
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

richard wrote:But the HSTs are heading for a life at least as long as the A3.
A classic design like the Deltics and Gresley Pacifics, but they've also been sold to the Aussies (with modified bodies)

Richard
Grand Central Railways are to start running from Sunderland through York to Kings Cross, and was sposs'ed to be December, but now it's next may, and they are refurbing HSTs, and the insides look spanking, take a look http://www.grandcentralrail.co.uk/gallery.html
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Just hope they have better seats than the GNER "Mallard" refurbishments!

I realise these coaches need refurbishing every 10 years or so, but I'm sure the original seats used on the Mark 4s were much more comfortable. Had the misfortune of travelling from KingsX to Leeds in a Mallard set during a visit a few years back. I think a flat board would have been (slightly) more comfortable...

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Bullhead

Post by Bullhead »

x568wcn wrote:Grand Central Railways are to start running from Sunderland through York to Kings Cross, and they are refurbing HSTs, and the insides look spanking, take a look http://www.grandcentralrail.co.uk/gallery.html
I see they haven't fitted the window grilles yet, to protect passengers and on-train staff from disgruntled GNER employees hurling copies of their franchise agreement (crumpled up round complimentary Bronte shortbread).