ASLEF 1943

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

SteveF
NER Y7 0-4-0T

ASLEF 1943

Post by SteveF »

I attach a picture of the delegates at the May1943 ASLEF Conference in Southport.

Please can someone confirm that the seated dignitary wearing the ceremonial chain is William Allen (ASLEF General Secretary 1940-47)?

I haven't found any other photo of William Allen so cannot verify this myself.

Thanks
Steve F
Attachments
430000_ASLEF.jpg
PGBerrie
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Re: ASLEF 1943

Post by PGBerrie »

I think you will find that the guy wearing the chain is the Mayor of Southport - there are a couple of pictures on internet showing previous mayors wearing the same chain. It could be that the guy sitting to the left of the mayor is W P Allen, but I cannot see any Aslef button. Maybe you can ask Aslef - they must have a archive.

Peter
SteveF
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by SteveF »

PGBerrie wrote:I think you will find that the guy wearing the chain is the Mayor of Southport - there are a couple of pictures on internet showing previous mayors wearing the same chain. It could be that the guy sitting to the left of the mayor is W P Allen, but I cannot see any Aslef button. Maybe you can ask Aslef - they must have a archive.

Peter
Thanks for your reply. I did ask ASLEF first but unfortunately they couldn't help. They referred me to the TUC Archive located on the campus of the University of Warwick.

Good idea about the Mayor.
SteveF
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by SteveF »

PGBerrie wrote:It could be that the guy sitting to the left of the mayor is W P Allen, but I cannot see any Aslef button.
I have now purchased a copy of ASLEF 1880-1980 and can confirm that it is William Allen who is to the left of the mayor as you look at the photo.