northern railfans club

This forum is for the discussion of all railway subjects that do not include the LNER, and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

port stephens
NER Y7 0-4-0T

northern railfans club

Post by port stephens »

is there anyone out there who was a member of the old Northern Railfans Club back in the late 50s would love to discuss about old times or as everyone from that era passed away.
Wolstyn
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Re: northern railfans club

Post by Wolstyn »

Hello,

I was a member of Northern Railfans from 1960 to about 1965.
This was an excellent club. It was split roughly 50/50 between travel by rail & coach trips to Engine Sheds using a coach company based in Newcastle Under Lyme. The coach company name I do not remember. The Coach pick up points were Manchester Victoria Station or Crewe Station. The officials of the club were really first class. All arrangements were notified in advance through the Newsletter so when it arrived in the post, young boys like myself would apply for a place on the trip, we paid by postal order or occasionally by postage stamps the appropriate fee.
British Railways in those days were very helpful in issuing permits for Organised Groups to visit, Engine Sheds & Locomotive Works that were still in use. The Works which were common for Northern Railfans were Horwich, Crewe, Derby & Darlington. Tours to the South of England I can never recall, nor to the Birmingham area. I suppose everything was in fact a day trip, rarely was there a trip which involved staying away for a night or too. I would love to see copies of the Northern Railfans Newsletters if that could ever be arranged.
Thank you so much to Northern Railfans arranging those 'all so important' trips to the Works & Sheds.
STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Re: northern railfans club

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

If you use the Search facility top right hand corner
Put in Northern Railfans
It’ll show more previous posts on this popular subject